1994 SC 17

Technical discussion of ARC products
rghdc
Hot Shot

1994 SC 17

Post by rghdc »

Hello Bill

I have just purchased a used SC17 (1994). Having owned one before (a Boston Whaler version circa 1982) I can’t wait to get this boat on the water. I looked long and hard to find a post Boston Whaler era SC17.
Love the newer tramp material.

Question about the self-tacking jib…the previous owner had taken the line off the traveler car (the line that runs parallel to the forward beam). He said that at times it would bind up…with the car running free he eliminated the problem…should I put the line back on? I would seem that the jib traveler car could be damaged in high winds if the left it to run free?

While for now I am content with my new boat just the way it is, out of curiosity I would like your opinion on increasing the beam to 8’-6” in keeping with the new ARC17, or even beyond trailer able width (say 10’) in the “distant future”…I believe you told me many years ago that you had done some experimentation in that regard with the SC17…is the benefit great enough to warrant the modification? The sails are custom (square top main) from Dave Calvert so the boat is already “not class compliant” I would assume. As this boat will be used for mostly for free sailing in the Atlantic off the coast of Ft. Pierce, the fact that it is not “one design” is not an issue for me.

Although it would be time consuming on your part, it would be a great resource to SC/ARC owners to have access (on this site, a "Facts" Page) to information based on you experimentation within the SC/ARC boat designs. Reading many of your posts on Catamaran Sailor Forum, it is evident that you are not shy about trying new concepts. If you were willing, and had the time to devote to it, it would make a valuable source of information for SC/ARC owners. One could investigate the feasibility of modifications to their stock boats without putting you thru answering the same questions repeatedly.

I believe you have seen my new (to me) SC17 before, as it came for the Stuart, Fl, area…The former owner said you stopped and talked to him one day, when you saw him setting up the boat at the Jensen???/Stuart??? Causeway (red/purple/white sails)…

In any event, I love my new boat.

Regards,
Bob
FraidyCat
Devloping

Post by FraidyCat »

Can someone detail the self tacking jib mechanism for me?
Pictures and digrams would be great.
Can I adapt the SC19 for one?

Liam
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Rat - The Wind in the Willows
Bill Roberts
Expert

1994 SC 17 Questions

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Bob,
I think the quickest and simplest way to solve your problems/answer your questions is for you to bring the boat by my house and we can spend some time going over it. I saw the boat once and the self tacking jib system was rigged all wrong and there were some parts missing.
I'm in the phone book in Palm City.
Good Sailing,
Bill