SC19 Rework

Technical discussion of ARC products
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Re: SC19 Rework

Post by SC15Av8or »

Some of you might have noticed a name change in the thread. I thought that since this is already more than a bottom job I will get as much in here as possible. That said one of the other components I am having reworked is the sails. I have taken them to Ullman Sails in Deltaville, Va. That said the sails that came with this SC19 were from Perry sails. David Perry was working with Bill Roberts in the beginning so they were original but in colors that were not offered after Boston Whaler took over the production. Correct me on that if I am wrong Tom and or Matt. The main sail and the jib both needed a little professional TLC. So the folks at ULLMAN SAILS were absolutely AMAZING!!! They gave us a March return date on 6 sails and about two weeks later they called and said we were ready to sail!!! So here are the before and after shots of the sail work performed by the pros at ULLMAN SAILS. The jib rework was simple. They patched the small hole along the leach and repaired and replace the two battens and their pockets. I have moved the pictures of the jib sail and battens to another post. Look for them below. Ullman Sails also did some work on our tramp before sailing on it last season. I got several more years on the tramp now as well.
100_0074 2.jpg
014 2.jpg
IMG_0707 2.jpg
013 2.jpg
IMG_0703 2.jpg
012 2.jpg
IMG_0720 2.jpg
IMG_0706 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SC15Av8or on July 4th, 2013, 12:24 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

I was able to find a great deal on a high tech one of a kind Mylar sail. I am hoping to get some kind of a matching jib. This sail was originally made for a NACRA 5.7. It seems to be the right size for the square tops that are used now. I am working on getting the exact square meters to see how close it is. But it is really close. We did get all the "AUS" removed from the mylar sail and need to replace it with the "Super" that Tom got to us.

DSC00815 2.jpg
DSC00813 2.jpg
100_0107 2.jpg
100_0108 2.jpg
100_0111 2.jpg
IMG_0734 2.jpg
IMG_0730 2.jpg
IMG_0729 2.jpg
IMG_0751 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SC15Av8or on July 4th, 2013, 12:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Slight correction on the sail history. Dave Posey was the original sailmaker who did all of the development work with Bill Roberts. While other sailmakers were involved over the years, we continued to work with Dave until his retirement in the early 2000's.

Regarding colors of the sails, the green one is a Fresco which is one of the original color schemes offered by Boston Whaler. The other one however I believe is actually POST Boston Whaler. Prior to Boston Whaler the majority of the sails were white with a single colored panel up near the logo. In the mid-1980's we offered what was called "custom" colors where the person ordering the sail got to choose their sail colors and where the colors went on the sail, the other colored sail looks like a "custom" color to me which would make it a mid to late 90's vintage. It also appears that it is a SuperCat logo on the sail, that style logo was introduced POST Boston Whaler if I am not mistaken.

Hope the history helps.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Matt Haberman wrote:Slight correction on the sail history. Dave Posey was the original sailmaker who did all of the development work with Bill Roberts. While other sailmakers were involved over the years, we continued to work with Dave until his retirement in the early 2000's.

Regarding colors of the sails, the green one is a Fresco which is one of the original color schemes offered by Boston Whaler. The other one however I believe is actually POST Boston Whaler. Prior to Boston Whaler the majority of the sails were white with a single colored panel up near the logo. In the mid-1980's we offered what was called "custom" colors where the person ordering the sail got to choose their sail colors and where the colors went on the sail, the other colored sail looks like a "custom" color to me which would make it a mid to late 90's vintage. It also appears that it is a SuperCat logo on the sail, that style logo was introduced POST Boston Whaler if I am not mistaken.

Hope the history helps.

Matt.....

WOW!!! That is great info Matt and yes that really does help. In our group most of us are aware of the Fresco pattern as I have one for my SC15 and the one there in that picture is on the "Commodores" SC19. We will also be joined by the Old Faithful colors this year on another SC19. I knew a bit about the relationship between Dave and Bill during the design. That’s cool. The hull numbers on this boat are 136 S and P and they appears to have been made in January of '85
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Well great news. I just talked with ULMAN Sails of Deltaville, VA. We had agreed on March date for picking up the sails. They are done. Those folks there are great and have done an amazing job with all the projects I have taken to them both in work quality and turnaround time. They are upfront and will let me know if it is worth repairing or not. I can appreciate that a lot. I will be posting the pictures of this as soon as I can. Stay tuned for those.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

A little more history:

By January of 1985 Tom had purchased the company from Erickson Yachts, but I don't believe that production had been moved yet. I am guessing that this boat was one of the last ones built at Erickson in California before moving production. While the boat was likely built by Erickson, it is also quite likely that it did not ship until later that year at which time it could have been sold with custom color sails.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
catgirl11
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Post by catgirl11 »

Matt,

Thank you for sharing the information about our sails and the production and history on our Supercat. Robert has done such an incredible job of posting our work and progress on the repairs and it is incredibly interesting to find out where she came from and more about her history. What a great learning experience this is for us. I am still so new to all of this, but learning every day and enjoying every minute of it! Anything you can share with us is much appreciated.

Thanks! Pam
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Ok folks well after a day of great weather we made some good progress on the project. I got all the retabing done on the dagger board trunks. I am going to leave the tops as they are. I also got a fresh layer of glass on the bottoms forward of the last bottom job. Looks like we are dwindleing the 10 minute jobs list. I'll sand and fair all of this in and then we will preasure test the hulls. After that I am on to adding the inspection ports and then the paint.
IMG_0716 2.jpg
IMG_0715 2.jpg
IMG_0714 2.jpg
IMG_0713 2.jpg
IMG_0712 2.jpg
IMG_0711 2.jpg
IMG_0710 2.jpg
IMG_0709 2.jpg
Last edited by SC15Av8or on July 4th, 2013, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Well here are our pictures of the jib sail. I did not get any detailed pictures of it prior to the folks at Ullman Sails worked their magic on it. I do have a few of the after though. I am going to be ordering a replacement set of battens from Tom here shortly, for the main sail. Now I need to get a jib to match my mylar main sail and the SC19 complete.
jib photo 2 2.jpg
photo 2 2.jpg
IMG_0717 2.jpg
IMG_0718 2.jpg
IMG_0719 2.jpg
Last edited by SC15Av8or on July 4th, 2013, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Ok so I have not posted in a while. It has been kind of crazy and work is now interfering with my fun time. So what has been done? Well I have received the nice shiny new battens from Aquarius Sails and put those together. Then I put them in the sail. WOW what a difference in weight they make. I finished making new battens for the Mylar sail that are far better than the ones it came with. I used an older set of tubular battens and retipped the ends. They came out awesome and I am looking forward to see how they perform. I have also completed one rudder and it awaits a partner. I have also replaced the end of the hiking stick with a cork ball. The rest of the time has been spent readying and sailing on the SC15. It was ready to sail with little work. It just needed a little TLC and has been out 3 times this year already.
IMG_0755 2.jpg
IMG_0532 2.jpg
IMG_0758 2.jpg
IMG_0757 2.jpg
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Ok soo where am I at with this now. Well the bottoms are all done and faired in. The boat is back together just not painted like I had hoped to get done this year. I'll have to paint now after this season. The boat is back together and sea worthy. I have put the inspection ports in the sterns and all the hard ware is back on. I will be giving it a shake down or two before the regatta at the end of the month. After which I am taking it to Newport Rhode Island to watch the Americas Cup off of it. So here are the pictures of where it is now. The mylar sail has been re-decaled as well and I will add those to the above post as soon as I run it up the mast and get a few pictures of that.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

So what did I do to the trailer. Well the pink box is gone. A bigger sail tube is now mounted and the main sail and tiller bars both fit nicely in that. All the lights were reworked. It also has craddles for the boat instead of rollers. The black "gear box" was bought at Lowes for $44. It has more than enough room for all the boats standing and running rigging, 2 throwable pfd's, 2 life jackets plus harnesses, an anchor and the jib sail. Plus I can stand on it while rigging and derigging the boat. I'll post a few pics of it open. I am working on dagger board and rudder storage but those fit in truck bed easly enough for now.

001 2.jpg
Untitled 2.jpg
IMG_0803 2.jpg
100_0015 2.jpg
Last edited by SC15Av8or on July 11th, 2012, 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Yesterday the SC19 went back on the water. Granted the paint job did not get done but but she is sea worthy and in far better shape. The bottom jobs are all complete and fared in. Dagger Board trunks are seal and I got the inspection ports in the sterns. It was a perfect day for sailing and a shake down. We clocked in 40.1 miles in 6:33. WHAT A SAIL !!!! We got her up to 15mph on a day where it was blowing and filled in from 7-15 knots ALL DAY !!!! We were doubled trapped out as well, at times. The repaired sails along with the proper battens were awesome. Really looking forward to running the mylar sail up the mast next time out. I did not waste any time putting her through her paces. As soon as we got into Currioman we started the jibbing for the bottom of the bay. I was looking for the long reach all the way over to St Clements Island and my thinking paid off. As soon as we cleared the bird hut I got on the wind and put the cross on the island right off the bows. It was a straight shot!! Later after lunch we ran down a Hunter 33. He had a good head start on us when we finished lunch on St Clements Island as we watched him sail up river and up wind while we ate. I gave him a bit extra as we took a penalty lap around the back side of the island. We ran him down going up wind before he could get to shelter at Cobb Island. That is when we headed over to the other side of the river on our second longest and fastest reach of the day to hunt down another set of sails. They quickly retreated and went the opposite direction. The get home leg was all down wind and a tacking, lay line exercise. We were back on the trailer by 7:15 last night. As I had hoped the only thing in the hulls was dust. They were both bone dry. Now I can felt the dagger board trunks and paint the boat and she will be finished. Fair winds and happy sailing !!

PS you all might want to watch the up coming Americas Cup. There will be a familiar set of SC19 hulls and flag close to one of the marks.
GoogleEarth_Image[1].jpg
100_0020 2.jpg
Last edited by SC15Av8or on June 13th, 2012, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

Though the SC19 is back on the water this thread is not finished. I will continue to post other pictures on this thread. She still has to be painted and I will add those as I get her spiffied up. I hope this will help others that have these fine boats to keep them in running shape. Remember I did all of this without any prior experience at reworking a boat to this depth. There is tons of great information here and if you cannot find it on this site pick up the phone and talk with Matt or Tom. Great folks and great boats.
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
SC15Av8or
Professional

Post by SC15Av8or »

So it has been over three years since I last posted to this thread. That said a lot has happened and a lot has not happened. Of course the later being things with the SC19. Well earlier this year I have accepted the fact I need to finish this project and get it off my plate. I did a bit of digging and took some time to refresh myself as to where it was that I left off and have started what will be the final stretch of getting my SC19 Rework complete. Course there will always be the need for a new tramp, sail, standing rigging. This is beyond that. A custom paint job created by me and painted by me. I have taken a few pointers and ideas from thing I have seen online. I am using AwlGrip Epoxy paints as I got a good deal on a gallon of the red. So I thought I would stay the course for the entire project and not risk mixing products to save a bit of coin here and there.

That all said where does the Rework stand today. The following pics are from where this project sits as of 7/24/2015
SuperCat 15/19Av8or