Checking for mast leaks

Technical discussion of ARC products
Peter Kirschhoffer
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Checking for mast leaks

Post by Peter Kirschhoffer »

How can I inspect my mast to see if it is watertight? If it is not, how do you seal it? I have not tipped my boat in quite a while. I probably should for the practice.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Checking for mast leaks

Post by Mac M »

I ordered a set of plugs from Tom, only like $14. You remove the cap at the top of the mast and the base at the bottom. On my 20 I had nothing at the top or bottom so I would have been screwed. I put some 5200 on the walls of the mast liberally and then put the foam plug in. I used a broom handle to push the plug down. Tom recommends using two plugs at the top and bottom. I then took silicone and went around the hound. The correct way to do the hound would probably be to remove it and then reseat it with 5200 as week but I took the lazy route. Whole process took me maybe a half hour.

I've gone turtle because of an unsealed mast on a hobie 14. It was an experience I don't want to repeat.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

All H14s can turtle after a turn over because the mast section is too small, not enough volume per foot of length.

John, good to hear frim you. An easy leak test is to pressurize the inside of the mast with the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner and then paint the mast ends and hardware attachments with soapy water; leaks blow bubbles. You can pressurize the mast at any screw attachment point. Remove the screw. Tape the pressure hose over the hole or have someone hold the end of the hose against the mast/hole. Don't worry about leaks between the mast and pressure hose. The inside of the mast will be pressurized and any leaks will blow bubbles.
Good sailing,
Bill
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by J Drew »

Bill,
Thanks for the inverted vacuum idea, I'll check my TR that way
Peter Kirschhoffer
Novice

Thanks Bill, for the vacuum test proceedure. I will give it a try.

I have a 15 that I have enjoyed since the day I got it new in 1987. Was the mast just sealed at that time or were there foam plugs added for boyancy too? Mac M you mentioned using 5200 to seal everything. Is this a common silicone sealer or do I need to get it from Tom?

Thanks again.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

The mast would have come from the factory wth plugs at the top and bottom. My 1989 boat still has the plugs intact, but I needed to seal the hound.

5200 is a 3M product that can be gotten at any west marine. It's a permanent adhesive, not a silicone.
Peter Kirschhoffer
Novice

This is all great information. I did recall the mast being sealed as a design / safety feature but, I didnt remember about the foam plugs being added too.
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Post by gahamby »

I did not find any plugs in my mast when I opened it up. I re-bedded the mast head w/ 3M 5200. After having difficulty righting a capsize, I re-bedded the mast hound, also w/ 5200. When I pulled the base I tilted the mast head down and filled it with water. No water leaked from the head or hound. I swabbed out the inside of the mast and let it dry. I re-bedded the base with 5200. I removed a base fastener later and got an out rush of air indicating positive pressure in the mast.