Rudder lock/unlock problems

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Rudder lock/unlock problems

Post by Mac M »

I've had problems getting my rudders up and down this week. They worked fine on my 20 at the lake but have harassed me here at the beach on my 17. I pulled the rudders and castings off of the 20 and put them on the 17 because I was having some rudder issues with my 17's set. I pushed off into the surf and once I got in deep enough the rudders wouldn't pull down. I had to reach over the sterns and push them down by hand. They began working after I put them up and down several times once I got past te surf and could mess with them. When I went back out the second time one side continually wouldn't go down unless I pushed it down as far as I could, then I could finish pulling it down. The rollers are clearing fine, just can't get the rudder to go down. They pop up fine. They didn't appear to have a bunch of sand in them that I noticed. They worked perfectly at the lake last week when I took the 20 out.
whalerman
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 17, SC 15

Re: Rudder lock/unlock problems

Post by whalerman »

The only time I had this type of problem was with sand or other debris in the rudder mechanism. Dis-

assemble the entire rudder system on one side, it does not take very long. Leave the other rudder intact so you can use it as a guide for re-assembly.

Clean all components. Remove the lines from the rudder arm and pull out all the spider webs, dead flies, dirt, etc. Clean and lubricate the sheaves on the rudder casing. Replace the rudder blade in the casting, lubricate the pivot bolt. Adjust the pivot bolt so that it is loose enough for the rudder to drop from it own weight.

At this point you should be good to go. If there is still a problem go over the surfaces of the rudder where they touch the rudder housing with very fine wet/dry sandpaper, then wax with an appropriate product.

Trust me, this will solve your problem.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Rudder lock/unlock problems

Post by Mac M »

Thanks. I'll disassemble and clean them up before the next outing