sC17 pre-buy questions

Technical discussion of ARC products
tnell
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC15 sold in 93 still miss it,

sC17 pre-buy questions

Post by tnell »

I'm considering picking up a 17 (1989) but it's about 500 miles away. I can fly down (no cost other than car rental and hotel one night) and then go get it on another trip if it works out, but I'm thinking about just driving down without inspecting it first.

I've had a SC15, 2 Nacra, and a Hobie 14 so I'm generally ok on what to look for. Are there any particular concerns specific to a 17 of this vintage to be aware of?
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: sC17 pre-buy questions

Post by Mac M »

Sounds like a lot of expense (flying down) for what most likely is couple thousand dollar boat. Save that money for some new stuff for it. Talk with the seller and get lots of pictures. I've bought a couple 17's and a 19 sight unseen and had them shipped to me. one of them had a small issue that wasn't disclosed, but wasn't the end of the world. I've still got a 17 platform in the backyard from o e of those buys taking up space. I need to stop with the Craigslist searches......
tnell
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC15 sold in 93 still miss it,

Re: sC17 pre-buy questions

Post by tnell »

Well I fly for free, but it still takes up time. I'm pretty sure the guy is ok and I'm asking for more pics. If I figure in the cost of the known parts it's hard to go wrong. Trailer, beach wheels, furler, blocks, extra sails and rudders. That stuff adds up fast and should all be in good working order.