Beach cruising

General Sailing Discussion
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Beach cruising

Post by J Drew »

I have been contemplating the term "beach cat" for a while now. I have been basically a fresh water sailor with the supercat and have had opposing thoughts about the beach.
The thought being that waves can really mess up a boat when coming in the wrong way.
Well, I live in fl. The beach is right there, why not try?
So I went to the beach, drank a beer and watched. Oooh no, there is no way I'm going to tear my boat up with that, I thought as I watched waves breaking right at shore. I mean if you don't get a board or rudder all the way up or your angle isn't just right, crunch.
Maybe I worry too much? Yeah better safe than sorry?
What to do?
The wide open space and more consistent breeze of the ocean is very intriguing, but I would rather not destroy it.
So I decided to give an old sport a try, in an effort to learn a little prior to launch. I got a surfboard.
The thought was that it would give me an opportunity to study the rythem of the waves and the different effects of tides before I take my pride and joy to such a challenge.
I had forgotten how many bikinis are walking along the beach, something you don't see as much of on the dock of the lake. So I guess concentration will be the next challenge to make sure I put the sails on right as I'm watching the girls?
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Re: Beach cruising

Post by Eric2101 »

hey man... beaching is not too hard. normally the depth is gradual so you can depower way before you are aground. I usually check the grade before I leave the beach, pay attention to the tide and from there can come flying in, pull a u turn, release sails with 1 rudder 1/2 down and jump into the water to vane into the wind. Crew gets wheels if properly trained.
Of course wind direction changes the tactic butt as long as you are beaching you will normally be able to jump off the boat well before too shallow to protect boards and hulls.
Boards up, opposite rudder up, release all sails and head up..... jump off and push the boat to your location.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15