Stress cracks

General Sailing Discussion
Suekarl87
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat17

Stress cracks

Post by Suekarl87 »

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have just purchased a BW, SC-17', 1981. I'm in the process of restoring it and would like some advice on hairline cracks in the gelcoat that show in large circular pattern beginning under the forward cross beam. I can only assume that there is a great deal of tortional stress at these points given that there are no other support members.
I'm curious how the pontoons are constructed and reinforced and wonder if these cracks imply anything more than gelcoat imperfections. I don't see the same under the aft cross beams. Thanks, Karl
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Re: Stress cracks

Post by gahamby »

Welcome. Be advised we NEVER call the hulls pontoons! My understanding is that stress cracks are caused by movement of the laminate under the gel coat. I would be glad of further enlightenment on this subject. I have stress cracks around my rudder gudions that are in need of attention. Perhaps the bolts on your cross members were loose. Please post pics of the entire boat.