SC 17 Newbie; info needed

General Sailing Discussion
stevenwp2
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC 17

SC 17 Newbie; info needed

Post by stevenwp2 »

shroud.jpg
Good evening. Just picked up a solid, old SC 17,somewhat disassembled and need a bit of direction.

Photos and/or info of the following would be greatly appreciated.
* Appears to have a wire traveler but there's no "car", just a (1/4"?) SS cable bridal and a turning block on the rear crossbar. I did find an interesting looking (triple? Looks like it's missing a sheave) block wit a cleat that might be the missing "car". I presume fitting a more typical traveler to the crossbar would not be a big deal.
* Tramp is off the boat, but appears in good shape. Pretty self-explanatory, but photos would be cool.
* Needs new shrouds. Not sure if these are OE or not. Have nice micro-adjusters... No existing Hyfield quick-release tangs, but would like to learn more.
* Needs sheaves on rudder heads replaced. Looks like the pins on the triples are pressed in and a custom little block assembly on the catch-bolt.
For some reason, I can only upload one photo.
Do these rudders kick up upon grounding? Saw pics of one with the transoms ripped out...
Thanks in advance. Can't wait to get her in the water!
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: SC 17 Newbie; info needed

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your purchase.

Regarding your questions:

- I don't currently have a picture of the cable traveler car at my disposal but the "block with cleat" might be what your looking for. There is a conversion kit to go to a Harken traveler however be aware that depending on the vintage of your trampoline it may be necessary to have that modified to work with the Harken traveler.

- The adjusters that are on the end of your shrouds are not Original Equipment and are a bad deal. When used on the shrouds they can easily come undone and result in a dismasting. The original shrouds on the 17 just had a nicropress thimble on the end that went into the shroud adjuster. If the boat came with the righting system then there was a hyfield lever and an extension wire swaged to the shroud.

- The triple sheave on the rudder heads were pressed in. We now just use a bolt in place of the pin so that it is easier to service.
- When properly adjusted the rudders are designed to kickup if you run aground. The locking pin that slides up and down is designed to be made from plastic so that if it binds it would shear off and protect the rudder and transom. Regardless we always recommend that you release the rudder so that it moves up part way when entering shallow water.

All original equipment for your SuperCat 17 is still available from Aquarius Sail. If you are in need of parts please call 651-462-SAIL and they can get you anything that you need.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
stevenwp2
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC 17

Post by stevenwp2 »

Hey, thanks Matt...

My rudder "locking pins" are stainless bolts, so my situation sounds a bit dangerous. I figured out the photo issue; see attached.

My tramp does lace around the rear beam, so yeah, a conventional traveler would require a modification. If the wire works OK I'm fine with it... for now. I also have a NACRA 5.7 and I am liking the SC 17 more for it's simplicity and relative ease of setting. I'm 6' and 220lbs, so the mast is a non-issue. An updated new main and a few mods and this could be fun.

Thanks again and I'll be in touch...
STeve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Steve,

You definitely want to replace the stainless steel bolts in your rudder assemblies with the proper plastic shear pin.

That is the cable traveler car in your photo. It mounts "upside down" with those small ears facing down. There should be a small pulley attached to those "ears" with a shackle. The cable runs over the top of the two large sheaves and your mainsheet blocks attach above that in the two holes at the top of the triangle.

Hope that helps, have a good weekend.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Steve,
I should mention that we do have manuals available for your SuperCat 17. If you give our parts office a call at 651-462-7245 they can help you out.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
Beavertailskiff
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1982 SC17

Post by Beavertailskiff »

https://youtu.be/JNs5TJ-2AGY
Solo righting with extendable shrouds