Sail Track

General Sailing Discussion
Peter Kirschhoffer
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Sail Track

Post by Peter Kirschhoffer »

Near the top of my mast, I've found a possible pinched area in the sail track. Can someone tell me how to check for this and how to spread this pinched area without further damage.

Thanks,
Peter
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Peter,

The easiest way to check width of track is with a drill bit. Just find one that fits in a good portion of the track and us that as a gauge. Use the shank portion , not the twist.
If you do locate a pinch you can usually force it out with some care. Get a hard wood or plastic wedge that you can insert into the track below the pinch. Force the wedge up the mast through the pinched portion. A couple of passes should do the trick.
Do not use a metal tool because you can quite possibly damage the track. If you do have a nick, a little sandpaper and some elbow grease should remove the majority of it.
It is not necessary to remove the entire pinch; the luff tape is relatively thin and passes through most pinches with little problem.
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman
Peter Kirschhoffer
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15

Post by Peter Kirschhoffer »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the instructions. I will check it out the next time I take my mast down.

By the way, I've made my repairs to the chips and scratches using the gel version of the gelcoat. I had to make two applications to some of the deeper chipped areas but, it worked great. After sanding and buffing, it is difficult to see where the repairs were made. Thanks for your help.

Peter