getting an old tramp to fit into both side grooves.

General Sailing Discussion
Vernon Van Rooy
Novice

getting an old tramp to fit into both side grooves.

Post by Vernon Van Rooy »

hello to all:

Just bought a supercat 17...in Dallas..off of craigs list...model # 17P385.....toted it to Willis TX and hope to sail it on lake Conroe.....For starters...the tramp was off and I am trying to get it back on....but it will not stretch across...just almost there....but too hard to pull it across and fit into the groove....my thought has been to let it sit in the sun on a hot day and try again...any other ideas/techniques???...this is for starters because I will need to order a manual...find out about rigging...etc etc...

Thanks,

Vern
The lazy sailor
andrew
Devloping

tramp issues

Post by andrew »

I had same issues on a couple of 17's I had to back out the dedicated screw's holding the aluminum track all most all the way then release the track then insert the tramp luff cord then tighten up the screw's a little at a time I would pull each screw to bed the screw one at a time just remember to tighten in a sequence you don't bend the track. if that don't work bust out the credit card and buy a new tramp. good luck
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Vern,

Although what Andrew did apparently worked for him, I would have to advise against it from a technical standpoint. A couple of things concern me with what he did.

For starters the aluminum tramp tracks are attached to the boat with not only the screws that you see but also 3M 5200 adhesive. For those of you that are not familiar with 5200, it has a reputation of being very agressive. In the past I have seen entire sections of the laminate removed from the hull when trying to remove the tramp tracks, or the track ends up so dammaged that they need replacing.

Second off, the backup metal in the hull is relativly thin and the threads on the screws are only #10-24. They really are not designed to tighten down under the load that Andrew is suggesting you put them under, I would be very concerned that you might strip out the threads.

I guess I havn't helped you solve the small tramp problem, and I am not sure I really have a solution for you at the moment, but I wanted to save you some potentional problems. I also should ask how your putting the tramp on. I am assuming that your starting at the rear of the boat and sliding it forward.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Vernon Van Rooy
Novice

Post by Vernon Van Rooy »

Well....I guess it was a matter of being green.....but I noticed some eyelets on the tramp that allowed for rope to pull the tramp just tight enough so that with soap and several pairs of pliers...we could pull the tramp to one side and slide it in a bit do the same on the other side...alternating back and forth...the most difficult part was the first four inches...just really hard on the arms....

Thanks for responding....I love this forum...plan to repir fiberglass and to then paint...I have already seen some nice posts on that soooo...this forum it going to be very helpful

Vern
The lazy sailor