SC-20 Boom Clue End Piece - Outhaul

Technical discussion of ARC products
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

SC-20 Boom Clue End Piece - Outhaul

Post by Kevin Keller »

The part that attaches to the end of my boom which you stick the metal clew of the sail in has broken again. One of the tongs cracked off.

According to the previous owner it had broken twice prior. Originally he was hooking it up wrong by using one hole to pin the sail and another hole to pin the main sheet block. He was told to only use one pin for both the sail and the block.

I am wondering why it was designed this way other than for simplicities sake. It seems that you would want to have an adjustable outhaul?

Has there been any updates to this design since it originally came out?
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Since I have been involved with SC20 ( 1980) I have never heard of any problems with that part except for your particular boat.
Something is not correct in the way it is rigged.
Do you have some photos of how it is rigged? We would like to see them, because the problem you have is unique.
We no longer use a boom on the newer models. Lighter weight and dead simple. Out hual is addressed by multiple holes in the clew plate on boomless rigs.
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Here is a photo while sailing one time. Hope you can tell how it is rigged. I use a pushpin which goes through the mainsheet block swivel, through the boom hole, and through the clue plate, back through the other side of the boom hole and then the swivel again.

If I ordered a new main from you, would you recommend it be made for a boom or boomless?

Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Kevin,

It is hard to tell, but from the picture it looks like the boom / clew / mainsheet is rigged correctly. Not sure what would be causing it to break.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com