Weight of the early 80's SC17

Technical discussion of ARC products
someguyinohio
Novice

Weight of the early 80's SC17

Post by someguyinohio »

Hi. I recently purchased a 1981 SuperCat 17. Boat is a joy to sail. I've had her out and am already impressed with low wind speed tacking and overall boat speed / efficiency.

However, it seems alot heavier than 320 lbs. My 86 Hobie 17 is right next to it and it seems to weigh significantly less. I've looked over the boat and haven't found any repair spots where it may have picked up some extra pounds. All mast and cross-bars look original. If I was to guess it weighs about 375 lbs. I could be weigh off. Ha. but it doesn't feel any where close to 320.

Is it possible that these earlier SC17 boats were heavier.. or that a boat can pick up extra pounds from water absorption? Its been parked in shade under pine trees in the wet forests of Seven Springs, Pennslvania. and sat for years. Or is the weight centered differently on SC17? The hulls are bone dry even after a 2 hour sail.
Just wondering..
Thanks for your thoughts.
:: winners sail their own race ::
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hi,

It is quite possible that the boat weighed more then 320 originally. The weight published by most manufacturers is the MINIMUM weight, and the boat could weigh anything over that.... That being said, I don't know what the early 17's weighed, but I do know that current boats come in very close to the published weights. It is also quite possible that the foam core has absorbed water over the years, adding to the weight of the boat.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com