SC19 Texas City Dike 4th of July Weekend

General Sailing Discussion
TopSpin80
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 19

SC19 Texas City Dike 4th of July Weekend

Post by TopSpin80 »

Just a few photos from the weekend. I always run a go-pro, and pull some photos off the video, but this weekend Morris Covin brought a "real" camera to the beach.

Texas City Dike is a long peninsula that is just north of Galveston Island it and Galveston together block the southern winds on Galveston Bay. Our water is normally smooth with hourly large ship waves, but this weekend the wind was out of the North East and Galveston Bay has about 25 miles of fetch in that direction. Large chop was out and the Supercat RULLED. I let the I17R guys borrow it so they could get out on the water.

Friday - rig up and take the kiddos out, left the boat on the beach mast up (smooth water day as the North wind hadn't built it up quite yet) Kids are 4, 5, and 6.

Saturday - Hoist sails and head out solo, no go-pro. ended up in a jibe with the mainsheet wrapped around the tiller, had it saved direct down wind but couldn't get it apart before turning a little too far up. Washed up onto the beach before I could right the boat. mast jammed into the sand a few times and then she rotated around into the wind and hulls came up onshore, it was a mad dash to release rudders and lift boards so I could right the boat. I must have looked really mad at the guy sitting in a chair on the beach because I pointed and motioned him to come help and he instantly changed his mocking attitude. Got the boat righted before other cat sailors made it down to help, about a 1/4 mile down the beach from them. The rest of the day went without incident for the SC19, but a few others didn't rig due to the conditions, and a few other broke and used the SC, overall every weekend I have on this thing is a little better than the last. The photos here are all first time cat sailors with me.

Ernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Re: SC19 Texas City Dike 4th of July Weekend

Post by SC15Av8or »

Great pics man !! 8) 8)
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or