Help - snapped bolt!

Technical discussion of ARC products
efinley
Professional

Help - snapped bolt!

Post by efinley »

Tom/Bill,
I have a SC20 #113. I think it is a 82 or so. Earlier today I was removing a hull so I could make some repairs. One of the bolts that hold the straps on that hold on the cross beams sheared in the hull. All of them were very tight. I know I had that hull off less than 2 years ago so I don't understand how they seized up so bad. Is the backer material in the hull stainless or aluminum. It looks like there is some electolysis going on but mostly up on the top where the stainless bolt goes up against the aluminum washer.

Also, how much metal is in the hull. I have a set of left hand drills and easy outs and of course I am going to try to get the bolt out but it is stuck! If I have to go up a bolt size is there enough metal in the hull to support this?

And finally can I use liquid wrench to help free this thing up or will it hurt the fiberglass/paint?

Thanks,
Eric Finley
SC20 #113
Northern CA
Bill Roberts
Expert

Broken Bolt

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Eric,
As I remember the bolt is 3/8ths inch in diameter. It goes into a 2 inch square X 1/2inch thick piece of 6061T6 aluminum. You can try the easy out thing. I that doesn't work, drill the broken bolt out and install a helicoil kit. Or go a size larger in bolt diameter and new threads.
These bolts and all bolts on the boat should be installed with a liberal application of white lithium grease or never seize grease. The white lithium works well and is much cleaner to work with than the never seize.
Good Luck,
Bill
efinley
Professional

Re: Snapped bolt

Post by efinley »

Thanks Bill. Looks like I am going to go the helicoil route. After 2 days with liquid wrench the EZ out still snapped. That bolt is really in there! I am lucky in that the bolt broke about 1/4" above the deck so I should be able to take a grinder to the bolt and grind out the EZ out. Then I guess I will just drill it out and install a helicoil.

Thanks for the help.

Eric