Single-handed in the Pacific...

General Sailing Discussion
arkilokos
Novice

Single-handed in the Pacific...

Post by arkilokos »

What is the largest Supercat/Arc that can be sailed single-handed, if:average sailor, Southern California Pacific, 160lbs...

I still want to take the wife and two kids out from time to time. I like the idea of a wide beam (I don't plan on trailering any) but the boat would have to stay in mast-up storage. I don't think I will do any racing. Of course, you never know what you do once you are addicted to something...

Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

P.S. Why would this boat be better than a Nacra 5.5 Uni?
RobLyman
Novice
Boat Make/Model: RC-27, ARC-22

Single Handed RC-27

Post by RobLyman »

I've singlehanded my RC-27. I do need help pulling the boat out of the water though. Alos, I really don't enjoy the single handed experience when the wind tops 15 kts. It's just too much work and I would rather be out on my A Class cat if I am singlehanded in those conditions.
RC-27
ARC-22
Hobie 18
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

I sailed my SC20 in the Gulf singlehanded several times. After getting off shore I furled the jib and had a great time. The boat is light to the touch and very forgiving and with the jib furled it doesn't throw much spray. The major plus is the hull height/wave piercing/12' beam combination plus if you do capsize all you have to do is extend the shroud extender and you're back sailing pronto. One experienced man can sail this boat very well. If you're not in shape don't fall off because its a little farther back up than a Nacra or Hobie. Its the standard rig which allows alot more wind range than the ARC22 I have. Once you sail a 12' beam the narrower boats are not as much fun...at least not for me anyway.

As far as taking out the family these boats can't be beat for the warm weather beach scene. My SC20 was a fire hose with the jib up and three crew on board. The crew may or may not enjoy the SC20. The ARC22 is relatively dry but is really a light air boat say under 15mph. Over that you need to reef. If you're crew is agile you can make these boats go almost as fast into the wind as off the wind. All it takes is weight transfer; especially if you're a heavy crew. Right now I'm trying to talk a couple of tri-babes to crew and have total crew weight under 450lbs. Even contemplating giving over the helm to take advantage of the weight transfer.

I haven't sailed the other boats but all are meant for the offshore conditions. Try sailing one before you make a final decision.

fair winds
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale