Spinnaklers

Technical discussion of ARC products
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Spinnaklers

Post by Eric2101 »

I have two spinnakers, one is the Inter 20 spinnaker and the other is a much larger one made for the Hobie 20. Since neither was designed spec for the Arc 21 what is your opinion on which will be a good mate for the 21?

The sizes are significantly different, would thid affect the sheeting point? The I-20 sheets from the shroud and the H-20 sheets from the rear beam......?
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Bill Roberts
Expert

ARC21 Spinnaker

Post by Bill Roberts »

Eric,
Iwould suggest you get rid of the junk and get a latest technology spinnaker made for your boat. The class with the most spinnaker development in it is the Tornado class, Ullman Sails in the US. I would suggest you get a spinnaker made to fit your boat, your luff, leech and foot measurements, and with the aerodynamic shape, camber distribution, twist, etc, developed for the Tornado.
The I20 class has had several different spinnaker cuts, most of them slow.
Bill
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

Hey Eric-

If you're cleaning house let me know...I may be able to find a home for that junk....
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
Eric2101
Professional

Post by Eric2101 »

Thom,

I may want to vend some of this "junk". I am not in the market for new sails yet so I am trying to figure out what is the best junk for the great boat that I have.

Other than that I also have a brand new H-20 Mmain sail to sell...and a jib.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Bill Roberts
Expert

Junk Sails, Obsolete Sails

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Eric,
The downwind sails that came with your boat are several years old. They were a few years old when your boat was brand new. The technology in spinnaker sails has been moving rapidly over the last five years. A two year old sail is not competitive with a new sail today. This is why the spinnaker sails you have are not the correct sails for your boat. The triangular measurements of these sails do not fit your boat and the shape of these sails, the aerodynamics of these sails, is not correct for your boat. The I20 class has several different shaped spinnakers in the field. The new sails are faster than the older sails. The H21 spinnakers were made by Hood Sailmakers, a monohull sailmaker, and their shape shows it. These sails are very full. The faster a boat sails with spinnaker in a given windspeed, the flatter the sail must be made. When you analyse the vector triangle between boatspeed and windspeed and relative windspeed, you can see that the amount of air flow field turning the spinnaker can do becomes smaller as the boat sails faster. The shape, the turning, the fullness of the spinaker must be matched to the performance of the boat.
The Tornado class has just been through the Olympics. Their spinnaker sail shapes are developed to a very high level of performance at this time. Your boat is very similiar in performance to the Tornado. A spinnaker made to the triangular measurements of your boat and with the aerodynamic shape/technology of a Tornado spinnaker would be a a best shot at the right spinaker for your boat.
Bill
Eric2101
Professional

Post by Eric2101 »

Bill,
The Hobie Spin I have is one year old, but used 1 time. It is designed for the H-20, we'll look at it on Saturday.

Check your e-mail, I sent you a question regarding this weekend.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

Eric,

I know someone who is looking for a H20 mast, daggers and sails. Please contact me at danberger@mindspring.com and I'll hook the two of you up...

Dan