Main Sheet/traveler Cleat Issues

Technical discussion of ARC products
Braeden910
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1985 SuperCat 15

Main Sheet/traveler Cleat Issues

Post by Braeden910 »

Anyone else have issues with the main sheet or the traveler line getting stuck in the cleat when you’re out on the trapeze? I always seem to have issues with it getting stuck and I have flipped once and multiple close calls because of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Re: Main Sheet/traveler Cleat Issues

Post by gahamby »

You should be able to set the angle of the cam cleat so you can snap the sheet out quickly. You might consider inverting the cam cleat.
This might compromise your ability to lock in the main sheet. but hey, what are your priorities?
On the stock traveler there is no angle adjustment to the cam cleat . I put a Harken windward sheeting car on my 15. It had a Harken 22mm track installed when I bought it.
When I'm out on the wire solo I turn the sheet around the harness hook,under the dogbone, grip it back on it's self and don't engage the cam cleat. This takes the strain off my hand. Letting go slacks the sheet.
The quickest method I know to recover from an impending capsize is to push the boat to windward and stall the sail.
Standing by to endure a broadside of contrary opinions. GH
Braeden910
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1985 SuperCat 15

Post by Braeden910 »

Thanks for the recommendation! I will have to try that this summer! I can’t wait for everything to warm up and for the water to go down so I can get back out!
Jonathan Levine
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC19, SC20

Post by Jonathan Levine »

I appreciate that people can be very polarized on this, but for me Oxen (Ochsen) blocks were/are the answer, both main and jib.

A self-holding block without the usual external cam cleat means there is no cleat to have an angle problem with and thus no trouble getting into the cleat, getting enough slack in the sheet to snap it out of the cleat, etc. I switched to them after the first few years of (solo) sailing my first cat, a Mystere 17, put them on my H18, and expect to do same with the SC19 (unless wiser and more experienced hands convince me otherwise).

(Worth noting that I tried them on the Tornado, but they didn't work worth a damn on the jib because the horse adds too much slop to operate the blocks with any precision.)