Rudder Serial Numbers

Technical discussion of ARC products
JupCat
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Rudder Serial Numbers

Post by JupCat »

I'm curious about what, if anything, these number mean on my SC17 rudders. Appears to be: ARC22G04243-1. The boat is of unknown year and builder due to not having a VIN on either hull. Any ideas?

Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Rudder Serial Numbers

Post by Matt Haberman »

That rudder is a 2004 vintage, fiberglass laminate. Share some pictures of the boat and I can probably give you an idea of what year the boat is as well.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
JupCat
Novice

Post by JupCat »

That's exciting, along I thought I had two early eights boats. I'll post more pictures. Is there anything I should look for to help you identify?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

It's quite possible that your rudders were replaced....

Photos of transom, rudder castings, hulls, mast base, etc. Anything you have might be useful.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
JupCat
Novice

Post by JupCat »

Yes, it's likely the rudders were replaced. The boat had BW stickers on it when I bought it. The hulls do not have hull seams where they were joined, like they were sanded down. My uncle said he had never seen a 17 made by Bill R or BW that didn't have the seam.

JupCat
Novice

Post by JupCat »

Here's the sail that came with the boat, I've never sailed it, I've been using the sail from my other boat.

JupCat
Novice

Post by JupCat »

Here my other main. Any feedback you can provide on everything is much appreciated. Love learning about the SC/ARC evolution.

Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

The Boston Whaler sticker and the rudder castings and gudgeons on your boat indicate it was built by Boston Whaler, probably in 1982 or there about. The visible seam line on the hulls was something that was done all the way up into the early 1990's, so you are probably right that someone sanded it off and blended the gelcoat. If the boat was painted, that this probably when the blended the seam lines.

The sail with the 812 did not come from that boat originally. The 8xx sail numbers were being issued around 1985-86 if I recall correctly. Incidentally, I am 99% certain I know who had sail number originally, they were located in Pensylvania.... Not sure how it ended up your boat in Florida.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
JupCat
Novice

Post by JupCat »

Thanks. I bought the boat above from Merrit Island/Cocoa.

Any intel on the Pattison sail? I bought it with the boat below from Delray, which I'm told was originally from upstate NY.

Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Posey Sailmakers (Blank White logo on Sail 812) was the original sailmaker for Bill Roberts and Boston Whaler. We continued to use Posey as our primary vendor until Dave's retirement in the late 1990's, or maybe even early 2000's.

I suspect the Pattison sail was from when Erickson Yachts built the boats, which would have been around 1983-1984. Erickson was in California as was Pattison so it would make sense they were using a local sailmaker.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.