Mast rake

Technical discussion of ARC products
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Mast rake

Post by Eric2101 »

to what extent will mast rake affect the ARC 21? The reason that I ask is that there seems to be limited amout of adjustment, only 4 holes on the shroud chainplate
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Eric,
The mast pedestal is designed with 5 degrees of rake and the sidestays were dimensioned to be in the bottom hole of lever assembly when the mast is at 5 degrees also.
This should give you more than enough adjustment.
Raking the mast further aft will not help pointing abilityand will definately be slower down wind.
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman
dave trey
Novice

Post by dave trey »

Does rake at ball apply to all SC products ? Does bottom hole at lever also apply to all SC stays ?

Dave
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Dave,

The 5 degrees of rake in the mast pedestal / post applies to all of the SC, ARC & RC boats. This 5 degrees is measured with respect to the deckline just forward of the main beam where the deck forms a straight line towards the bow. If you have a boat with a dolphin striker like the SC20, ARC22 & RC-27/30 you can also measure the dolphin striker post.

The shrouds on the newer boats are designed to give you 5 degrees in the lower hole of the sidestay lever, I how ever cannot say the same thing for an older boat. Wires stretch, people swage the wires wrong, etc. that make it impossible to say that the same would apply to the wires on your boat.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
dave trey
Novice

Stay measures

Post by dave trey »

Matt....I assume that 5 degree is optimum as provided by step. Is there an archive showing stay lengths for the older SC with standard levers etc. ? Also fore/bridle w. or w.o. furler ? If one was to add furler to SC 17 I assume you would use the modern small Harken combo and wondered if you have measures for stay lengths changed by this furler ? If spinnaker launch system changes these measures I'd like to know now as I may add in the future. Any special deals for the asymmetric setup ?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Dave,

5 Degrees was determined to be optimum over many years of testing by Aquarius Sail, Bill Roberts and many others who have been involved in the boats over the years. As conditions & sails change it may be necessary to rake the mast different then the 5 degrees, but we always start with that as our baseline and work from there.

Aquarius Sail has the drawings & documentation for all of the rigging that was originally shipped with the all of the SuperCat, ARC and RC products. We also have documentation for rigging the SuperCat 17 with a roller furling jib. The spinnaker setup we use on the ARC-17, 21, 22, etc. is designed to work with the self-tacking jib and that system doesn't work with a roller furling setup, so in short you are talking about two completely different rig setups.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com