SC 17

General Sailing Discussion
ultrarunner
Professional

SC 17

Post by ultrarunner »

Hello folks...new to the site. I am considering the purchase of an older SC17.

This will be my first Cat. Any Cat specific questions I need to ask the seller? The boat appears (pictures) in great shape. Several sails, etc...

I'll be sailing this on Lake Ontario and an adjacent bay.

Looking forward to a new type of boat.

thanks for your input.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest looking the boat over in person.
  • Look for any signs of repairs or damage.
    Lift the boat up and check the keels of the hulls for hard to see damage.
    Check the rigging over and make sure it is in good condition, but even at that I would plan on replacing it unless you know it is new.
    Check over the rudder system and make sure everything is in working order. The rudder system is pretty tough so sometimes they just need some TLC.
    Look over the sails for repairs, damage, etc. What condition is the cloth in, a bed sheet or a crisp sail?
    Check the mast sail track for damage. It usually can be repaired, but take a look anyway.
    Check the traveler track or cable at the rear beam. Is everthing there and in working condition? Any Damage?
    Make sure you have all of the running rigging (Mainsheet Jib sheet systems)
Look this over like you were buying a used car and question anything that doesn't look right. If you still have questions get some pictures and feel free to post them here or email to us with your questions.

In all the SC17 is a great boat and used ones have been in high demand the last few years.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
ultrarunner
Professional

SC17

Post by ultrarunner »

Matt, thanks so much for your response. I sent you an email to your 'info' address with some more details.

thanks.