Alligator Leery

General Sailing Discussion
Wood Man
Novice

Alligator Leery

Post by Wood Man »

I am an old cat sailor but new to the idea of basing and sailing my recently purchased SC20TR in Lake Harris, north of Orlando in Leesburg. You know, where we keep all those large alligators. The breakaway shroud will keep me from swimming with the gators when I flip. Tying a drag rope that an overboard crew member can grab and more quickly come aboard will help too but I'm still a little hesitant about gator wrestling. Anybody out there have any feedback, advice, warnings or dares?
Wood Man - Atlanta
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Get crew members that can't swim as fast as you :wink:
Wood Man
Novice

Post by Wood Man »

There's only one real test who will swim the fastest in this situation and I don't like the grading system.
Wood Man - Atlanta
Steve Knapp
Novice

Alligator Leary

Post by Steve Knapp »

Hello Wood Man,

I have a few alligator stories to share. I lived in Gainesville, Florida for ten years. That’s right I am a “gator” meaning University of Florida alumnus.

Alligators are not very aggressive animals. Over the years there have been a few alligator attacks on humans in Florida. These attacks involved small adults or children typically near the water’s edge. Authorities post warning signs such as “Do Not Feed the Alligators”. Apparently when people feed alligators, alligators then associate people with food and are attracted to humans rather than being antisocial. Pets and small humans are vulnerable when this happens. It is a very rare event for an adult male human to be attacked by an alligator.

Crocodiles are very aggressive and grow to a larger size compared to alligators. Salt water crocodiles will hunt humans if given an opportunity. There are many documented reports of people being taken by crocodiles in Africa, Australia etc.

On the University of Florida campus, I encountered a six foot alligator stopped in the middle of a street. The UF campus has a lake, swamp and many ponds that are infested with alligators. I found a four foot stick in the woods and used it to hit the tail of the alligator to encourage it to run. The alligator ran approximately 25 yards then stopped. I hit the tail again and it ran approximately 20 yards before stopping. It turned its head towards me and hissed. I guess the alligator was saying thank you for saving its life. Each time the alligator needed a short rest period before it would run again. The procedure was repeated until the alligator ran across a large field, down a bank and into a creek that was connected to a large pond. The trick was to not get near the end with the teeth. Alligators begin to put on a lot of weight when they get eight or nine feet long.

Alligators routinely sun themselves on banks and shores. Be observant. If you approach them, the will hiss and eventually move into the water and swim away. Natural prey includes fish, reptiles, birds and small mammals.

I watched a documentary where a researcher studied alligators in their natural habitat. The researcher entered a four foot deep body of water that contained many large alligators. The alligators did not bother him. If an alligator became curious and approached, the researcher used a stick to nudge the head of the alligator and the alligator retreated. The bottom line is that alligators are not very aggressive unless humans have changed their feeding behavior.

I have not heard of a story where a person in a boat was attacked by an alligator. If your catamaran flips and an alligator approaches, stay on the boat. Do not try to out-swim an alligator. The idea that the slowest swimmer will be the first taken is unproven. In all likelihood, if the alligator attacks, it would attack the smallest and weakest. I will be sailing on Lake Thurmond located on the border between Georgia and South Carolina. I guess the lake has alligators. See you on the water.

Regards,
Steve Knapp
SC-17
Wood Man
Novice

Aligators don't eat sailors

Post by Wood Man »

Hello Steve,
Thanks for your ideas. I've also researched that Aligators eat between dusk and dawn - they're nocturnal. They also tend to hang near the shores, creeks and swamps - food sources. Additionally, the 10 - 12 footers are the ones that COULD pose a problem. However, to get that big they must be smart and did not learn to associate food with people. The food - people association leads to the gator getting relocated or killed because they do not unlearn this. Therefore, sail in the middle of the lake before sundown and use the breakaway shroud to right the boat rather than splash 'round in the water.

BTW - there are no gators in north GA. Only in ponds near the coast like Hilton Head Island.

Woodman
Wood Man - Atlanta