Eric2101 how about posting the pictures of your jin pole?

General Sailing Discussion
rghdc
Hot Shot

Eric2101 how about posting the pictures of your jin pole?

Post by rghdc »

Hi Eric

Saw a couple of photos of your jinpole mast stepper on Catsailor and wondered if you could post them over here...with a detailed discription of what you used (material list) and how well it worked? This is the first time I could see any real detail in a photo as to what is going on.

Thanks,
Bob
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Gin Pole Pics

Post by Eric2101 »

Here are the pics of the gin pole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Eric2101
Professional

gin pole

Post by Eric2101 »

materials
bicycle tube
Aluminum tube, thick wall
4 stainless rings
2 stainless caribiners
2 steel chain plates (galvanized, from Ace hardware) bent to fit mast
2 eyestraps

the green stopper balls are not needed, there is very little load on the sway stabilizers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Eric2101
Professional

gin pole

Post by Eric2101 »

pic of mast base and bolt head in the pvc plug. the bolt head seats into the divot that I drilled into the mast base. Once the retaing strap is in place, the bolthead keeps the pole from sliding down.
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
rghdc
Hot Shot

Post by rghdc »

Eric
Thanks for the photos...what was the length , diameter and wall thickness of the pole?
Thanks,
Bob
Eric2101
Professional

gin pole

Post by Eric2101 »

Bob,

the wall thickness on this pole is overkill, maybe 1/4 inch. The length is determined by where you want to bring the forestay to, although I am using the spin halyard. Once you raise the mast, the pole will be horizontal and you need to make sure that it doesn't foul you when you try to connect the bridle to the forestay. So, with the mast up, measure from the front of the base to the back of the bridle / forestay connection point and reduce that number by 4".
Tom Peterson
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Gin Pole

Post by Tom Peterson »

I am more impressed with the fact that you stopped mowing your grass just to set this up and photograph it. 8)
Hobie 14, Hobie 16, saw the light, and am now Supercat 17
rghdc
Hot Shot

Post by rghdc »

Eric you have any other picture of you actually using it...much better at visual learning. Where exactly do the red/white lines fasten? Why are there carabineers on the lines...you say there are two of them on your material list, but there seems to be four in the picture...or are two of them stainless rings?

It probably take a few seconds to figure it out in person… but in cyberspace it always seem to take a lot of detail to figure out...you can not give too much detail...too bad we don’t have some CAD wiz kid on here that could make up an animated 3d representation of the whole process.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Bob
Eric2101
Professional

as close as I can get right now...

Post by Eric2101 »

The white and red rope is the stabilizer, it keeps the mast from swinging all the way out when you start to crank it up. They go around the hulls and you clip the ring into the caribiner then you brin a trapeze forward and hook that into the caribiner as well. The trap limits the swing.

I think I'll try to shoot a video for you...
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15