snuffer?

Technical discussion of ARC products
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

snuffer?

Post by Eric2101 »

Has there been any efforts made to produce a snuufer for the ARC21? Using the spin in the Tradewinds regatta was a real work out because of the need to launch from the deck. I could imagine a much better placing in a bouy race had we not wasted as much time as we did fooling with the spin 3 or 4 times per race.
NAMSA
CABB
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15
Jim Moody
Devloping

Post by Jim Moody »

Ditto for the ARC 22. HintHint.

Jim
Jim Moody

ARC 2242 CUT IT OUT
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

We have a snuffer system for the ARC17 but the 21 & 22 present a much more complex problem.
Namely size.
The 17 spinnaker is quite small in comparison ( but large than most other beach cats I.E. I-20, Tornado. F-18) and we were sucessful with that, but the ARC22 is almost twice the size and the forces needed to get it into the ring and bag are considerably higher. I.E. spinnaker is going to take a beating.
We are still working on it but at this point if I start offering them I believe that there will be some disapointment associated with it.
Bill had a snuffer on his 30 a number of years ago ( I think three) and it was not a very accomodating method.
At this point we have not given up but we do feel that it is fair to state that any snuffer system will always be harder on spinnakers and life of sail will be shortened.
BTW we call our system a "Python " because it looks like a snake that has swallowed a small animal. I also think a snuffer sounds like something you get with a bad cold or a chemical dependancy problem. :)

Tom
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman