SC20 Daggers

Technical discussion of ARC products
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

SC20 Daggers

Post by DanBerger »

I was flipping through my owner's manual the other day and it indicated that the daggers for the 20 are marked for each side. I can't see any difference in the two that I have and I have had some made that are exactly alike. Are they really different, or were they fitted for a specific side??
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Dan,

The dagger boards are the same for port and startboard. I don't recall the exact wording in the SC20 manual but here is my guess.
In the 1980's the process that was used to manufacture the daggerboards would allow for boards that could vary in dimensions, the thickness in particular. Because of this irregularity the daggerboard trunks in the hulls were "custom fit" by adding different thickness carpet so the board would fit nicely. I would guess they were marking the boards "port & starboard" so you could easily tell which board would fit in which hull, and it had nothing to do with an actual difference in the board.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

Thanks,

I was hoping that was the reason. Of course, I wouldn't put it past Bill to design them differently to give you some kind of trick lifting or something! :wink:
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

My first 1980 SC20 had delrin tubes inserted into the daggers that were offset to go into an indentation in the hull. If the "wrong dagger" was inserted the board would stop when the tube hit the hull because the hull indentation was on the inside only but not the outside of the box.

Or was it the woman I was sailing with??? When I sold that boat she disappeared into the wind to never return{;<}===
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale