1980 FMS 20 side stay backing plates

Technical discussion of ARC products
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

1980 FMS 20 side stay backing plates

Post by thommerrill »

I finally got my 20 back yesterday. I was told the sidestay backing plates were missing. It was in someone else's hand for 2yr 3 months. I was wondering if these plates were straight pieces with holes drilled or copies of the outside pieces that fit all the bolts pattern in one piece???

Also I have to either wet sand the paint and/or buff it out. Any particular problems that might arise with either??? Its Interlux top side one step polyutherene. Its thin in some sport and ok in others...

Any advice??
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
Tom Haberman
Expert

Post by Tom Haberman »

Thom.

The backing plates for sidestays are a single piece that is formed to fit inside curvatuare of hull. The plate is laminated into the inner skin so I am curious as to how it can be missing. It would be quite a trick to remove them without a bit of effort.

In regards to paint I would check with manufacturer Interlux. Some painst are not hard enough to polish well or may require special buffing compounds. I am sure they can give you the straight information.
Sincerely,

Tom Haberman
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

Hello Tom-

When I pulled them off[ about 2 1/2years ago] the "backing plates were about 2" long by 1/2" wide by 1/16" thick. I can send a pic. They didn't look to me like a professional backing plate but thats what was there. What I will do is cut some 1/8" HDMW plastic to size and drill to fit. With washers and lock nuts the area should be stable.
thanks,
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale