super cat 19

General Sailing Discussion
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

super cat 19

Post by jjd78 »

i am putting together my 19 i bought and the sails are really new... my question is; is there a pole that slides in the lowest pocket.... the same way a 20 does?

thanks jason
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Jason,

The SuperCat 19 came with a standard batten in the bottom pocket. On the newer boats we use an aluminum tube, in place of the standard batten. The SuperCat 20 actually had an external boom attached to the mast and the clew of the sail, this is the only SuperCat / ARC / RC product that utilized a boom.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
rghdc
Hot Shot

Aluminum tube to replace bottom batten on a SC 17?

Post by rghdc »

Matt…would there be any advantage to replace the bottom batten on my SC 17 main with an aluminum tube? If so what diameter and wall thickness? 6061-T-6?

Thanks,
Bob
jjd78
Professional

Post by jjd78 »

thanks matt.... since this boat hasn't been sailed in over 9 years and i've been redoing the hulls because the trailer peirced the hulls long before i bought it.... can't wait to get her on the water....
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Aluminum tube to replace bottom batten on a SC 17?

Post by Matt Haberman »

rghdc wrote:Matt…would there be any advantage to replace the bottom batten on my SC 17 main with an aluminum tube? If so what diameter and wall thickness? 6061-T-6?

Thanks,
Bob
Yes the advantage would be better control of mast rotation. As for diameter, give Tom a call and he can get you the info.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
FraidyCat
Devloping

Post by FraidyCat »

The 1.25" (0.0625 wall thickness) tube I got for my SC19 did not fit in the batten pocket, close but no cigar,I will have to go get a 1" tube, apparently I now need to get 0.125 wall tubing, correct?

Fraidy
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Rat - The Wind in the Willows
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

If it helps any, I got the sail for Jason's 19 from the overstock section on Aquarius' website. The bottom pocket is enlarged like the pocket on my 20, but it isn't nearly as large. If he puts a tube in the bottom pocket, would he need an end piece and beefier batten pocket protector to support the tube??
jjd78
Professional

Post by jjd78 »

so i finally got the boat together, painted, and on the beach on friday.... started to rig it saturday for our chixs beach version 2.4 out in chesapeake bay... what i found while raising the mainsail is shown in the picture... can you see whats wrong with the sail?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Looks to me like the sails was cut off. Either because of a repair like you mentioned or someone attempted to make a high-wind sail out of it?
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
jjd78
Professional

Post by jjd78 »

thank goodness i had anouther sail that actually fit... just didn't make it out for sat. race.... but i did for sundays race and man did i love how that boat performed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

That looks much better :D
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

Matt,

I have heard that 19s made good rental boats, so do you think that the shorter sail might have been cut down to reduce the sail area for a rental??
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Dan,
Typically the rental configuration was a SC17 with a 15 rig. Not to say that there were not some 19's out there too.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Shorty

Post by Eric2101 »

Maybe he put it in the dryer?! DoooooH!
Eric Arbogast
Supercat 15