SC-17 Trap lines

General Sailing Discussion
jbshu24
Hot Shot

SC-17 Trap lines

Post by jbshu24 »

Was out there today with crew on the trap. Seems a bit more difficult to slide in and out than compared with a Hobie. One problem is unknowingly unhooking when scooting up onto the hull. Maybe it's because the hulls are up higher than the trampoline.

I would say right now the dogbone touches the hull. To me this seems a little low. Had the crew hook into the top ring of the dogbone and that made it a little easier.

Jon
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Jon,

Jon I typically adjust my trapeeze ring so it is just above or just touching the deck of the boat. I also make sure that the shock cord has enough stretch to retract the ring back to the trap wire when not in use, this will also help to keep you hooked in when coming on and off the wire. Be careful not to make the shock cord too tight because it can cause the ring to go flying and hit someone in the face when you let go of it.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
jbshu24
Hot Shot

Post by jbshu24 »

Matt Haberman wrote:J

I typically adjust my trapeeze ring so it is just above or just touching the deck of the boat.
Thanks Matt,
If the ring almost touches the deck, doesn't this mean that you can't swing onto the trap from the wire? i.e. you'll slam your rear into the hull when you swing in?

I can see how this is easier if you hang over the hull before pushing out, but if you hook up while on the tramp, as you ease out, the ring may have no tension and you'll unhook.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Jon,

This ring position provides the proper position when out on the trapeeze. Yes, my rear does hit the side of the hull, but then I slide myself up on the boat and vice-versa when going out. I typically don't have a problem with the ring coming unhooked as long as the shock cord is properly adjusted.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com