New to sailing & purchased 85 SC-17

General Sailing Discussion
Randy
Novice

New to sailing & purchased 85 SC-17

Post by Randy »

Good Afternoon,

I'm really excited about learning to sail. I have purchased a 1985 Supercat 17 and have a few questions about getting started sailing.

1: I have checked the hulls for cracks and setup the sails and rudders on dry land to test everything out. Is there any other things I should check or do prior to putting the boat in the water?

2: What are supplies that I need to have on the boat as I'm sailing? I have read that an oar and flash light are required. Are there other items that are required or good to have along?

Thanks for your help!!!
Tom Peterson
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Stuff to take along and do

Post by Tom Peterson »

Depending on the state you are in, local laws (and common sense) may require PFDs for all persons on board and a throwable. A paddle is a good idea. With a new (used) boat it is a good idea to string together some shackles and pins in case of a problem, along with a combo screwdriver and maybe a needle nose pliers. Don't go out on a real windy day until you have more confidence in your boat and yourself. At some point, tip your boat over in a safe place and make sure you know how to right it before venturing out in higher winds farther from shore.

Try to go out with someone who knows how to sail your first couple times. Learn how to get out of irons by backing the boat around. Watch for wires that may contact your mast.

And, wear the PFD. I do a lot of dumb things like ride my motorcycle without a helmet, but I never go out on the sailboat without my PFD on and buckled. Besides if you try to fasten it anywhere on the boat so you don't have to wear it, it just gets in the way.

Have fun !! We do, all the time.
Hobie 14, Hobie 16, saw the light, and am now Supercat 17
Randy
Novice

Post by Randy »

Thank you Tom.

We live in Colorado. I will certainly get the PFD's wether they are required or not. I'll also get the other items you recommended. I figure other sailers have had a need for these things in the past so I might as well learn the easy way by listening to you.

I'm really excited about getting started, I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as I can be so I don't have to learn the hard way ON the water.

Thanks again,

Randy
FraidyCat
Devloping

Post by FraidyCat »

Might want to get this book too:

Catamaran Racing: For the 90's

http://www.amazon.com/Catamaran-Racing- ... 45?ie=UTF8

Not all applies but it has a lot of useful info in it.

Fraidy
"There is nothing- absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Rat - The Wind in the Willows