Drag chutes available

General Sailing Discussion
Wood Man
Novice

Drag chutes available

Post by Wood Man »

I read the discussion 'bout power righting using a drag chute. I'd like to try this alternative to brute force. Where can I buy a drag chute to use with my SC20TR?
Wood Man - Atlanta
rghdc
Hot Shot

Post by rghdc »

You can get a “drag chute”…aka… Sea Anchor at just about any boating supply store…West Marine…Boaters World…Bass Pro Shop or any of your local marine supply stores.

Regards,
Bob
Wood Man
Novice

Post by Wood Man »

Thanks, Bob,
I know what a sea anchor is and I thought the "drag chute" was a special sailboat type rig. It sounds like a handy item to keep your bow pointed upwind when you're alone or sailing with a novice that isn't much help.
Eric
Wood Man - Atlanta
Claas van der Linde
Devloping

Paraanchor

Post by Claas van der Linde »

Eric and Bill Roberts use on their RC-30 a 6-foot Para-Tech Sea-Anchor. Works great, very expensive. I am using on my RC-27 a 6-foot military surplus parachute sea anchor. Can be had cheap for $29 on Ebay. Works just as great. Unfortunately it is also just as heavy as the Para-Tech anchor.

Cheers from Switzerland,

Claas
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

righting

Post by Eric2101 »

I am not familiar with this technique, please describe it for us.

Thank you.

Eric Arbogast
Wood Man
Novice

U R kidding . . . right?

Post by Wood Man »

Eric,
I learned about this "drag chute" technique reading a general discussion between YOU and Bill posted August '05 under the heading "power righting". So, UR being sarcastic that you've not heard 'bout this technique . . . yes?
Wood Man "Big E" (also Eric)
Wood Man - Atlanta
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

hmm

Post by Eric2101 »

No sarcasm (this time) I suffer from an advanced case of CRS.(can't remember shit)

I did not reaize that for the power righting technique you needed a drag chute?

OK. So, you get back on the boat, then stand on the traveler and sheet in the main? As the boat comes over you just roll onto the tramp and yer back in "biness"?
Wood Man
Novice

Post by Wood Man »

So, you've done this WITHOUT a drag chute? Without a chute, it would seem that your mast would continue pointing downwind and your tramp full of wind thereby preventing the boat from righting.
Wood Man - Atlanta