Attitude and balance

General Sailing Discussion
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Attitude and balance

Post by Eric2101 »

Anyone,

What does the ARC hull preffer as far as crew weight at different points of sail? To weather I feel that it likes to bury the lee hull and drive, crew weight forward. Down wind I am not so sure. Any opinions?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Eric,
All depends on the wind conditions.

Upwind
Light Air - Crew in the front tramp on low side and skipper on high side near the side stay. I like to lean against the side stay in light air conditions if I am steering.
Light/Moderate air - Crew will move to windward side and stay near the front beam either in front of or behind it depending condtions.
Moderate and Up - The crew typically trapeezes with one foot in front of the main beam and the other foot in front of the side stay. The skipper when trapeezing is typically standing with their front foot just aft of the side stay. As wind conditions increase the skipper may move aft so he is midway between the rear beam and the side stay, but the crew will remain forward unless conditons don't allow.

Downwind
Light Air - Same as upwind in light air but the skipper will probably be in front of the sidestay.
Light/Moderate Air - Crew back on main tramp but up near the main beam moving from low to high side and conditions require. Skipper will typically be sitting on the high side near the side stay (I like to lean on it)
Moderate & Up - Crew hikeing on high side right behind the side stay, skipper right next to the crew. As conditions require both skipper and crew may move back.

It really all comes down to boat attitude. Upwind you really want to see the leeward hull burried so only 2-4" of the bow is sticking out on average. Going down wind in light & moderate air it is pretty much the same attitude with only a few inches of the bow out of the water. As the wind increases going down wind you probably want to play it a little safer and get the bow up a bit, but typically you always want to have the waterline at the bow down in the water.

Hope this helps
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Eric2101
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 15

Attitude

Post by Eric2101 »

Excellent! Just what I was looking for. Keeping the lee bow driving has been working for me so far and as you say, be a little more conservative downwind so you dont trip over the lee hull in a gust.
Thanx for the tip!