Weather helm

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Weather helm

Post by Mac M »

On the first sailing this weekend of the SC20 I just finished I had weather helm. I wasn't horrible like I've had on older cats but did require me to be constantly pulling on the tiller. It got worse as the wind picked up. What are the common causes of this? Rudde issues, mast rake?? I'd really like to get the helm closer to neutral. It seems to be pretty consistent on both tacks.

My boats an '80 SC20 with the tall rig
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: Weather helm

Post by Matt Haberman »

Mac,

A multitude of things can cause weather helm. It may be a good thing that you have equal weather helm on both tacks, if that wasn't the case I would suspect the rudders were not symmetrical.

The first two things I would check is mast rake and if the rudders are loose. The mast rake should be at 5 degrees relative to the deck of the hull about 24" in front of the main beam. Regarding the rudders, with the boat on the beach raise the sterns high enough that you can drop the rudders. With the rudders down check and see how much movement both fore/aft and Side to side. If the pivot hole is really worn out you will see excess movement fore/aft which can cause weather helm as boat speed increases.

PS: I noticed your post on Catsailor about a tilt trailer for the 20. I am not sure of anyone tilting the 12' beam because it is essentially impossible to stay under the 8' 6" width & 13' bridge limits without dragging a hull on the ground.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

Thanks for the heads up on the trailer and weather helm advice.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

I have the same problem with my modified SC-20. I think it is due to the new self-tacking jib not being as big as the old one. I have adjusted my mast rake as far forward as possible to see if it would make a difference, it didn't. I think the answer would be to move the daggerboard wells back a little. It's not that much of a pain for me to worry about but the old rig definitely was better balanced.
Mac M
Professional

Post by Mac M »

I'm hoping mine is a rudder toe or mast rake problem, but will see. Like yours, mine isn't horrible, but definetly annoying.