Righting a SC15, Parts, and Repairing

Technical discussion of ARC products
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Re: Righting a SC15, Parts, and Repairing

Post by havliii »

Bill,

You weren't there. I always, every single time climbed up and opened the lever and extended the shroud on the high hull. I have witnesses. The system is flawed, lots and lots of things can go fubar at any time. DO NOT TELL ME WHAT I DID WRONG. I was there and I know exactly what happened and what I did. I don't use the system cause too many things can get sideways real fast.

Constructive criticism is a good thing, you can improve the way things work or you can deny there are problems. If you deny the existence of problems, people get hurt. (the O rings on the space shuttle come to mind, denying the cold weather issues killed people)

Does your system work? yes Do I like it? no. Did I open the levers that would be submerged on the low hull? NO That never happened.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

I think we have ridden this horse enough. Thanks for your input, havliii.
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Bill, I have the utmost respect for you. The Chesapeake Bay has some of the nastiest chop on the entire east coast, there are tons of shipwrecks to attest to that. I have pitch poled, full barrel rolled (mast pointing straight at the bottom, more than once), got flattened by a micro down burst, caught out in monster storms and been hammered in every way. I have always righted and sailed home. (much of this solo) I have done the jibe from hell more than once and fubar'ed your boats. That, in itself, is a testament to your boats, your design, how indestructible and safe they really are. I would not sail on the bay on any other beach cat. The insurance policy under me when I leave the dock, is a Supercat.

We have a saying in white water kayaking, there is no life jacket as good as staying in/on your boat. Thanks.
Braeden910
Novice
Boat Make/Model: 1985 SuperCat 15

Post by Braeden910 »

Bill Roberts wrote: January 19th, 2019, 1:37 pm OK Gang,
Double click left on the picture and the picture will fill the screen and rotate 90 degrees. Now you can see how things work and read the words on the picture. When a boat, SC 17 for example, first turns over and has spun around, if necessary, with mast is pointing into the wind, the boat can be righted. . In this position the weight of the upper hull and tramp and upper rudder and rigging blocks and rope etc are causing a counterclockwise torque, W1 x R1. (see picture/drawing) That torque is roughly 100 pounds times a 1ft lever arm, r1, or 100 ft lbs of torque counterclockwise. That is a torque that the person trying to right the boat must overcome. With upper shroud extended, the weight of the upper hull etc is 100 lbs times a 1 ft lever arm to the right, r2. This creates roughly 100 ft lbs of righting torque clockwise. "The change in righting torque" is 200 ft lbs!!! The torque that a 140 lb person can generate is roughly 140 lbs times a 3 ft lever arm or 420 ft lbs. The shroud extension makes a 200 ft lbs of torque change. That is 50 % of the righting torque that Braeden can generate. You are damn right, Braeden, the shroud extension makes one hell of a big difference in righting especially for smaller people. . Without the shroud extension properly executed, you could have been run over by a barge. With the shroud extension executed, you would have had the boat back up on its feet and be sailing again in 5 minutes and be proud of what you did. No other beach cat in the world comes with a righting system. Do you and havliii and many others now have a greater appreciation and understanding for the SC righting system? BTW, it also helps you raise and lower the mast safely.
Righting Syatem S C and ARC.jpg
I know it’s been a while but I wanted to thank Bill for the awesome explanation on how to use the system and ask a couple of questions. Lie I said thanks for the explanation it really helped me out a lot! Also, I have 2 questions for you. You mentioned that putting the right line over the hull is a hobie thing. How should you attach the righting line on a Supercat? Should it be a line from one side of the front beam to the other side of the front
beam? Or should it be just a single line that you attach to where the top hull and the front beam meet? My second question is how does the SC righting system help you raise and lower the mast safely because we also had issues with that?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Braeden910,

We typically will tie the righting line around the forward cross beam right between the tramp and the hull. I personally have found it to be a bit more beneficial to put the line over the top of the hull, however as the boat starts to come up that will put you on the outside of the hull, not really where you want to be.
I think Bill's point about raising and lower the mast was the ability to open one of the levers (don't disconnect it). By doing this it puts some slack in the rig and makes it easier to connect the forestay pin. The safest and easiest way to raise the mast is by using a gin pole system.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com