Outboard Motor Mount

Technical discussion of ARC products
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Re: Outboard Motor Mount

Post by J Drew »

Maybe this is a bit old fashion, but what I use when the wind vanishes doesn't use a mount, but it fits nicely into the tramp bag, and its made of wood. Any guesses? Besides, it gives you time to look for the little puffs.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Well I did paddle for 8 miles between Oahu and Molokai one night when the winds died. Would have been nice to have had a engine at the time.

I was looking at the Torqeedo website but couldn't find the engine that Matt shows in the picture. What ball park price do they go for?

Kevin
J Drew
Professional

Post by J Drew »

I would have to agree that there are times when a motor would be nice, 8 miles in open water at night would definitely create the desire for a motor. I guess it depends on the situation.
I just always figured motors are for fishing boats.
GeneHacker
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 20

Post by GeneHacker »

The only thing I want the motor for is getting a slip when I go to the coast. After doing a pretty good amount of research I cannot really find anywhere in Southern California where you can leave a beachcat on the beach overnight. I have a nice 4hp motor on my monohull and it would be really nice for motoring in and out of crowded marinas.

Ventura harbor comes to mind. I did the "frenchies rum run" race last summer and its very difficult to rig the boat, launch, and make it to the starting time. With a motor I could keep the boat in a slip the night before, fully rigged. Then I can park the boat on the beach near the breakwater(which is legal during the day) and run the motor up to the car. Last year we got up very early to rig and launch and used a paddle to get to the starting line (the wind didn't pick up yet) and we missed the start by a half hour. If I kept the boat in the slip I still would have had to paddle for a couple hours to get to the start but it would have saved us a couple hours or rigging in the morning.
Last edited by GeneHacker on January 4th, 2014, 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J Drew
Professional

Post by J Drew »

That makes sense.
You'll have to excuse my strange sense of humor, bad jokes are my specialty.
I don't know about leaving it in the water overnight though, you might find it a pound or two heavier in the morning?
GeneHacker
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 20

Post by GeneHacker »

No apology needed, I appreciate any feedback.

I hope my boat will not add a couple pounds through the night. Sitting unburdened at the slip, it really shouldn't take on any water. If it dose...that is something I will address.
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Post by gahamby »

I know I'm reviving an old post. When I searched Outboard Motor Mount on this forum I got "no results"
When I Googled it I got this thread.
Does anybody use a Cheeta motor mount? If so, how do you like it.
I am thinking of mounting a Torqueedo on my 15. Has anyone mounted one on the front crossbar?
Last edited by gahamby on October 16th, 2018, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

I have a cheetah motor mount I can part with. I got it on a Supercat 19 and thought I would use the platform as a committee boat, but... that aint gonna happen..
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

Dan,
Thanks for the offer. I bought the Cheeta SC mount that was in The BeachCats classifieds.
I'm wondering if I could bank up some smaller batteries,seal them up in PVC pipe and slip them into the front crossbeam for an out of the way battery location. Then I could use a trolling motor. There are many cheap ones on CL. This is mostly idle conjecture at the moment.
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Post by DanBerger »

I think the boats are so wet and there really isn't a lot of room for batteries or a tank, you would have to get very creative. A friend gave me an old 2 hp motor with a tank on the top, but it is a little too big for my liking. I was going to install port holes on the deck of my 19, anyway, so I thought I could run a fuel line to the port and put either a small canister in the hull for a tank or maybe a collapsible jug. I would rather have the weight forward, so I thought it would be better to put the tank in front of the dagger board and run a line back to the stern. That would also give me access to the daggerboard trunks

I think the weight of the motor would be better on the front beam, but you would have trouble raising it when not in use. It also might get beat up by waves. It would take a VERY long shaft.
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

IMG_0113 torq.jpg
So how much torque am I applying to the front crossbeam with this Torqueedo? (havliii posed this question to me)
The battery and throttle live on deck. The end of the cantilever is about 5'-6"
The motor weighs 21lb w/o battery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Greg,

Do you know where the balance point is located on the torqueedo when it is sitting horizontal like this? Worst case if all the weight was located in the propeller you would be looking at roughly 115 lb-ft of torque on the front beam.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

Matt,

It balances just above that patch of black velcro.
Am I going to roll the cross beam off the boat?

Thanks, Geoff
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

So the distance from the balance point to the center of the front beam is roughly 4' ??? If so then your looking at about 84 lb-ft of torque on the front beam.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

Well that didn't work out. Going with the stern mount.