Spin pole limits

Technical discussion of ARC products
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Spin pole limits

Post by thommerrill »

Tom made my spin pole for my 22 capable to handle a hooter. Calvert designed one that was about 450sqft but thats too big for DFW area. I have discovered the screecher for my F25c will fit the parameters of the 22.

My question is how much pressure will the spin pole/bridal/mast take? The screacher halyard tension gets above 1,000 lb. The screacher halyard probably goes closer to 2,000 lb tension in higher winds on the F25c. I am curious about the lance cleat as well.

Should I try this sail on the 22?
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
Bill Roberts
Expert

Hooters

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Thom,
You can try this sail in up to 5 mph winds, but you won't find a speed advantage. In 10 mgh winds, it will break the mast. Thom, look at the cross section of your 25C mast and compare it to your 22 mast. As far as moment of inertia goes it is like comparing an elephant to a horse in load carrying capability. A 2,000 pound axial download on the 22 mast would buckle it in an instant. You probably have concluded by now that Hooters don't work as well as flat spinnakers on beach cats anyway. Rick White is the only one that still supports the Hooter and he hasn't won a race in years.
Bill
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Post by thommerrill »

Thanks Bill-

Being as when it does blow here its usually 10-20 with strong gusts I don't think I will try it.

Rick likes to talk about that sail alot but I've only heard about parts breaking.

He said he had a SC20TR at one time but capsized it alot. Hard to believe anyone as tall as he is would have that problem...
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale