mast bridle and clevis

Technical discussion of ARC products
BugTussel
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: 82 Supercat 17

mast bridle and clevis

Post by BugTussel »

took the boat out in 30+ winds. fun day! but did some minor damage. i bent the clevis pin that attaches the stays to the mast bridle not sure if that is the right term for that piece. the clivis i had i think was too small for the task the pin is tiny compared to the hole. what is the correct sized clevis? and the hole in the bridle is now oblong by and 1/8". so i need to replace it i don't trust the metal anymore. my question is how is it attached? six screws go in to it. does it have a backing plate? what do they screw into? do i have to remove the top plate on the mast to make this repair?

i also remember a post about someone having 2 bridles one for the stays and one for the traps should i make this mod?

the boat is a 83 SC17
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Re: mast bridle and clevis

Post by Matt Haberman »

Bug,

Are you referring to the "hounds" on the mast where the shrouds and trap wires attach? If so, there is no backing plate, just the sheet metal screws through the hounds fitting and into the aluminum mast.

The newer hound fitting for the SC17 is the same one that we use on the ARC22 and contains two holes, one for the shrouds and one for the trap wires. I don't have the shackle in front of me, but I think the pin diameter on the SC17 was 5/16".

If you would like to order a new hounds fitting please call Aquarius Sail at 651-462-7245 and Tom can help you.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
BugTussel
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: 82 Supercat 17

Post by BugTussel »

hounds yes i knew i had the wrong term. so does the new hound use the same holes?
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Bug,

Yes, the same holes are used along with a couple of additional ones that you will need to drill.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com