Replacing the Beam Locating Pins

Technical discussion of ARC products
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Replacing the Beam Locating Pins

Post by Kevin Keller »

I am replacing the telescoping beams on my SC-20 with one piece beams and discovered both locating pins on the forward beam were pushed in. These pins keep the hulls the correct distance and keep the beam from rotating. So I had to fix this problem.

I also noticed that where the beam strap bolts entered the hull there was damage. I have to assume I tightened the bolts too much and had cracked the fiberglass/kevlar surrounding the aluminum blocks. I ground out all of the broken glass and replaced it with a combination of carbon and fiberglass.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Keller
Professional

Re: Replacing the Beam Locating Pins

Post by Kevin Keller »

I can't tell if all the pictures are posting. I uploaded a bunch but only see 3 myself. Someone let me know if more than 3 pictures are being posted.
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

As you can probably tell the pics posted in reverse order.
Last edited by Kevin Keller on October 1st, 2010, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BugTussel
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: 82 Supercat 17

Post by BugTussel »

i see a bunch
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

I then had to align the hulls and re-drill and tap the blocks. I measured from the rear of the boat between the rudder gudgeons and then between bows. I came up with an 1 1/4" difference, the bows being closer. I think over time the bows have curved together and there is really not much I can do about it.