sc19 repair

Technical discussion of ARC products
eidietis
Novice

sc19 repair

Post by eidietis »

I have a Whaler built SC19 that got tosed on dry land by the wind last summer. The impact cause the rear of one hull to develop a slight verticle crack at the rear of the hull where the side meets the rear. I doesn't look bad but it is just enough to leak. I've done fiberglass work before on Hobies and I'm getting ready to attempt a repair. Does anyone have any advice obout how to best go about this repair?
Bruno Eidietis
Bill Roberts
Expert

Hull Repair

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Bruno,
Is this a hairline crack in the gelcoat or is the gelcoat broken away and you can see the white fibers of the laminate?
If it is hairline cracks in the gelcoat, these can be fixed using additional gelcoat only. But, first you must open these hairline cracks up so that new gelcoat can be forced down into them. Use a hacksaw blade cut off at a 45 degree angle to carefully scratch the hairline cracks open so that new gelcoat can be forced into the enlarged cracks. Hairline cracks in gelcoat are so narrow that you cannot force the gelcoat down into them so they have to be opened up to about 1/16 inch wide.
If the gelcoat is broken away and you can see white fiberglass, that's another story. Write me and let me know and we will talk about that.
Bill