Crew Of 3

Technical discussion of ARC products
thommerrill
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC22,FMS20,F25c

Crew Of 3

Post by thommerrill »

Anyone tried a crew of three on the the 22? I went out earlier this month with two tri babes [39 & 44yrs young] from my bike club. Total crew weight was about 410lbs. Winds were about 15+/- on flat water lake. For a first try it went quite well. We unfurled the spin and had a good run. Furling was easy. One hardend up the spin halyard and the other furled. My camera battery went dead so I didn't get a chance to take pics but it was interesting how well the boat handled with three people.

regards,
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
FMS 20 57 - newly faired and painted with Awlgrip -For Sale
Cookie Monster
Hot Shot

Post by Cookie Monster »

Thom,

There are a few of us that race with two and can beat your total crew weight of 410 lbs. Kevin and I race consistently at 440 lbs. and Glen Marsh and Steve Robb owe us about 110 lbs. Yes, the two of them are around 550 lbs. That's why we got the boat. It handles the weight well, and we are still competetive. So, I guess that having the extra hands on board could help out, and may also enhance the the scenery.

Later..........
Don Cook
ARC 2226 - Adrenalin
thommerrill
Professional

Post by thommerrill »

Don-

The view is better...

Weight transfer was noticibly better as well as sail handling. Both girls were agile/strong and had no problem doing what i asked when i asked. I plan on getting them to crew next year if possible.

thom
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
Glen Marsh
Devloping

The view

Post by Glen Marsh »

Tom,

Are you implying Steve isn't pretty?
Glen Marsh
thommerrill
Professional

Post by thommerrill »

Glen-

I'm saying two women are prettier than one man...everytime...
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
Steve Robb
Novice

Post by Steve Robb »

I will not wear a thong! :?
thommerrill
Professional

Sail wear

Post by thommerrill »

I'm glad to hear that...

One of my crew did catch her top on the quick release pin on the shroud extender. Actually pulled it out trying to get free. I have put boots over the whole system to keep her from dismastling the boat on her next sail...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
Cookie Monster
Hot Shot

Post by Cookie Monster »

Glen,

No, I wouldn't use the word "pretty" to describe Steve. No offense Steve. And, Steve thank you for standing your ground and not letting Glen make you wear a thong. We all thank you!

Thom,

Can T run a spinnaker?
Don Cook
ARC 2226 - Adrenalin
thommerrill
Professional

Run a spin

Post by thommerrill »

Don-

At first she chewed the spin sheet in several pieces, then she jumped overboard chasing a catfish while I was launching, and now she will tug on the sheet if I need help.

Her first experience with dynalite was a nap that lasted all afternoon. I opened the spin packing sack up [in my livingroom] to look for any potential problems and she just walked on it went to sleep. After a few hours I woke her up to take a pic...

thom
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Thom,
The entire SC product line,1978 through 1980, of ARC catamarans was designed for sailing off the SE coast of Florida in the Atlantic ocean. The chop here is 2 to 3 feet summertime and 3 to 4 feet winter. This adds 6 to 8 inches of additional hull height to the normal beach cat designed for lake sailing. This gets the beams and tramp out of the wave tops. This extra hull height also makes the boat tolerant to carrying extra weight as you and others are experiencing.
You may have read about all the changes some owners of F18HTs are making to their boats to make them ocean sailing suitable. The rear beams are being raised 6 inches and carbon beams are being installed to try to get the rubberyness, easy twisting, out of the platforms. Next they will be raising the bow height.
WF Oliver called me shortly after he received his first Jav2 with a steering problem he did not know how to solve. At speed the rudders would just "blow out" and stop steering the boat. Immediately I knew what his problem was, swept aft rudders ventilate at speed. I explained to him that the rudder leading edge had to be swept forward 5 degrees to prevent this problem. This is now standard B/M on the Italian Jav2.
In summary, aren't you glad you bought a mature ARC product with no problems, sails fine.
Bill
thommerrill
Professional

5 degrees forward

Post by thommerrill »

Does that forward slant work on underslung rudders as well?
thommerrill
F25c 009 - Charisma
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Thom,
Two things are being coordinated here with the forward swept leading edge foil. First, 'ventilation' is being eliminated, does not happen. This applies to dagger boards as well as rudders. Second, the rudder is becoming balanced. About 20% of the rudder area is in front of the axis of rotation for the rudder. In our case this axis is a vertical line through the pintles and crossing the rudder foil underwater. All ARC products are designed with "SHARED LIFT" to some degree. This keeps the boat from having lee helm with the spinnaker up. At the same time when sailing to windward on the main and jib alone, the rudder is carrying more of the side force from the sails than if the board and rudder had been located in the 'classical design' positions. This also allows a small downsizing of the dagger board which is located slightly forward of the 'classical position' and upsizing of the rudder foil. The larger rudder helps the boat tack faster. The greater distance between the rudder and dagger board, the longer the lever arm, results in more torque being generated to turn the boat for a given rudder side force. This makes the boat more responsive to the helm.
Thom, do you like the responsiveness of your boat and the way the helm feels?
Good Sailing,
Bill
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Thom,
The ARC products designed for three and or four person racing are the RC27 and RC30. The 27 is the three men or two couples, racing boat. The 30 is designed with 500 pounds more displacement in the hulls than the 27 so that it can be used for cruising, carrying outboard motor, fuel, bimini top, food, cooking stove, lanterns, sleeping bags, water, extra clothes etc. These boats provide Formula 40 performance, check US Sailing PNs, at 1/15th the cost of an F40.
The beach cat sailing public has not stepped up to more than two person racing boats but they will soon and here is the boat for them. The 27 and 30 are unique designs. They are at the max limit of the size and weight of boat components that can be assembled and disassembled by two men without the help of lifting cranes and other heavy equipment. The boat can be towed behind a normal size passenger car. Winches are not required to trim the sails; these boats still sail like a beach cat. They are nimble and quick and make a great day sailing boat or racer. Actually they are both in one boat. For the day sailor just add the bimini top and people and coolers of drinks and fried chicken and have a great sail on the 320 sq ft of topside area, shade or sun with a view and breeze, your choice. For the racer, take the bimini top off with a couple of quick pins and straps and 'Let's GO RACING'!
Good Sailing,
Bill