Rudder repairs

Technical discussion of ARC products
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Rudder repairs

Post by Mac M »

I've got an extra set of rudders I'm going to fix to have on standby. Wanting some guidance on a couple things I'm unsure of. The notches for the rollers on one is beat up pretty good (pic after a small amount of sanding). I traced the profile of the other rudder head for a template. I'm assuming the repair procedure would be to sand away all the gel coat a little past the ears of the notch, lay a couple pieces of glass, then re gel?

The next question is how to fix the seams on the rudders. There is a small gap at the seem as seen in the picture, I inserted a screw driver to show the space. The picture is from the trailing edge. I'm concerned about preserving the shape of the rudder on all of the repairs. Ill probably re gel coat both rudders after the repairs since I have some dagger boards to do from another boat. The rudders are off of a SC17, I know they are all the same but figured I'd mention it anyway.

I've got to do some work on the bottoms as well. Planning on using the same procedure as the notches on the rudder heads.