Best wax / finish for Hulls

Technical discussion of ARC products
T Peterson
Professional
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 17

Best wax / finish for Hulls

Post by T Peterson »

Hi Folks

I have a 80s era gel-coat SC 17. This spring I noticed the hulls were pretty oxidized and kind of gunked up so I flipped the boat upside down in the lake (without the mast) and took some 800 grit wet sand paper and carefully and lightly sanded/cleaned the hulls up, sanding lengthwise down the hulls. It worked quite well and the 800 grit left a finish that I would describe as semi-gloss.

I realize that if I do this every year and if I live long enough I eventually will have no gel-coat.

What are your recommendations for annual hull polishing / waxing / wet-sanding that will protect the hulls and not slow down the boat?
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: Best wax / finish for Hulls

Post by Bill Roberts »

Now you are ready for a light wet sanding with 1200 or 1500 paper and then buff with automotive finish rubbing compound. The gel coat will shine like new.
Bill
PS There is also polishing compound for gel coat.
Polishing compounds have a very very fine grit in them so they do remove a very very slight amount
of the finish coat whether it is paint or gel coat. When the finish on your hulls has been buffed out, use power buffer, with
polishing compound, the finish will be very smooth and shiney.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Re: Best wax / finish for Hulls

Post by SC15Av8or »

Bill you are going to put me out of business letting out my secrets. Then how is this south of the boarder man gonna feed his family?? :wink:
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or