Another Righting Thread!

Technical discussion of ARC products
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Another Righting Thread!

Post by Kevin Keller »

Tom, Bill, and Matt,

I was out racing the SC20 this weekend and we happened to bury the bows and my crew flew completely around the front of the boat and landed on the other side of the tramp without a scratch. Then he pulled the boat over.

I used Bill's righting technique that he has explained on the forum. We attached a regular anchor to the bow to point the boat and then I tightened the mainsheet and I stepped on it and all of a sudden the boat righted itself nice and gentle. I was pretty excited when it happened.

I do have a question though. Initially we blew into shallow water and I was trying to get up to the top hull to raise the daggerboard and rudder up so we wouldn't damage them. With my new setup (forward triangle trampoline) I really had a hard time climbing up the tramp(bottom side) and over to the daggerboard to push it in. Then I tried to go to the top side to pull it but my tramp lacings broke from the sharp edges on the eye straps. Even if the lacing hadn't broken I don't think I would have been able to get over to extend the stays if needed. I used to be able to climb the ladder and walk across the middle of the tramp and then around the forward beam to get to the extender.

Are the extenders even a consideration anymore for righting the 22? or have you eliminated them altogether and the need to climb the tramp. I would think there might be a scenario where it might still be used. At least a need to climb and retract the rudders and daggerboards.

Thanks,

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Keller on September 25th, 2013, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Re: Another Righting Thread!

Post by fjviola »

Here is the link to the "Power Righting" thread.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145&p=611&hilit=rig ... ystem#p611

As I am now owner of ARC 21 #2101, this is a VERY interesting topic.
Great righting techniques never can be addressed enough. :wink:

THANKS Kevin for bringing it out of the archives and to our (my) attention!! :D

franklin VIOLA
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

Post by gahamby »

What size drogue chute does one use?
How about this item? http://www.ebay.com/itm/230854514212?ss ... 1423.l2649
Are the Hobie fishing kayak drogues big enough?
http://www.kayakshed.com/hobie-kayak-ge ... 4AodkWkAvw
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Post by fjviola »

Bill,
In addition to 'size' of Sea Anchor, from where do you 'deploy' it (from bridles at the spinnaker pole or from bridle at in-water/down hull or other?), and how 'long' is your line?

Here are Sea Anchors available at Academy Sports

http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/_/N- ... allpartial

franklin VIOLA
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Glad I brougth it up! I did not use a sea anchor when I righted mine. I used the regular bottom anchor because of the circumstances but I do have this sea/drift anchor:

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/lindy-dr ... -sock.html

I use the 50" model. I have not used this particular sea anchor yet but I assume it is big enough. Maybe I will deploy it sometime to see how fast I drift. If it's too small it won't point the boat into the wind and can be very frustrating.

There are different models drift/sea anchors. Some look like a parachute with many lines. I can imagine this could become a mess when you are a$$holes and elbows trying to hang onto your boat and untangling this mess. I think one with fewer lines would be less inclined to foul up. I use about a 6' line with a snap shackle for a quick connection. As long as it stays in the water at a good horizontal angle it should work. When not in use I roll it up and wrap the line around it and leave it in one of the tramp zipper bags. I rarely open it and it doesn't mildew. I have thought about having 2 of them one for each tramp bag for fast easy reach since the SC20 is so wide.

I believe the best location to attach it is the waterborne hull bridal tang. I use a shackle instead of pin which allows me to attach things if needed. One occasion when on my side I tried to attach a line to the bridal stay alone with a smaller sea anchor and all it did was slide up to the union where the three wires met and pulled the sea anchor up almost out of the water. That did not work but might have if my sea anchor line was longer. I still think the bridal tang is best, it's easier to get to when the boat is on its side.

Kevin
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

This is an interesting thread. I hope the Oracle will chime back in and answer the questions of drogue size, type, length of line, type of line (floating or not), and point of attachment. I think the down hull bridal tang is probably the attachment point. I'd rather not stress that tang in the wrong direction.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Oracle was destroyed by the people trying to right the boat like a beach cat. When Oracle first pitchpoled, the boat/the hulls were in good shape. The wing was damaged but the platform was not damaged. If they had known to turn the boat around into the wind and right the boat by pulling downwind on the center of the rear beam while holding the bows fixed, not drifting, additional power boats eequired, the boat could have been righted in a reverse pitchpole maneuver and no damage to the platform. This is the way RC27s are righted in Switzerland.
But instead the power boat crew righting Oracle tried to right the boat like a Hobie cat and when they pulled the boat over on its side, one hull in the water and one hull in the air, the torque created by the hull in the air broke the wing and the the upper hull fell on the broken wing in the water and this severly damaged the hull and it filled with water and things went downhill from there. You don't right big catamarans like you do beach cats. The righting technique used to right Oracle was a multi million dollar mistake.
Last edited by Bill Roberts on September 26th, 2013, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

Bill you misconstrued my oracle reference. I was hoping you would enlighten us as to the proper drogue setup.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Sea Anchors: Get them at, PARA-TECH Engineering Co.
2117 Horseshoe Trail
Silt, CO. 81652
E-Mail: paratech@rof.net
www.seaanchor.com
ph. 970 876 0558
TALK TO Mr. Don Whilldin
Tie the anchor line to the main beam at the hull in the water. Tie a short line around the anchor line and through the forestay chainplate shackle. This will act like a fairlead and guide the anchor line pull to the bow but the main load will go to the beam. Throw/place the sea anchor in the water opposite the direction the boat is drifting. You are trying to turn the hulls parallel to the wind and mast perpindicular to the wind. Use the mainsail filled with the wind to right the boat. The anchor line should be two or three boat lengths long. Check with Mr. Whilldin.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Kevin,
The shroud levers and extension wires are a safety feature on all SCs and ARCs so that one person can right the boat. They always have been and always will be standard on SC and ARC products.
Note: Extending the shroud levers do NOT make the boat rightable. The shroud levers put slack into the rig so that the shroud extension pin can be pulled. It is the shroud extension wire that makes the boat rightable, not the levers. The system also requires a captive mast stepping base to the ball at the top of the dolphin stricker post.
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

I will have to try this as I just went over at the finish line. I know it would not have helped or made it any faster but possibly safer for crew. What size sea anchor was that??
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

Bill,

Without calling Mr. Whilldon can you tell us what size sea anchor (or drogue?) you would recommend for a SC20? I am curious if mine is big enough.

Kevin
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Six feet in diameter. It weighs 5 pounds and cost $210 in 2002.
Bill
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Ouch thats a bit steep Bill. If i tied a rope to my crew and told them to swim the other way. Would this yeild the same affect as a sea anchor?? This way it is not weight just sitting around waiting for a tip over. Get more use out of it as well.
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by J Drew »

That all depends how you look at it. I almost ruined a sail one time when the boat(flipped over) was drifting towards a dock. I would rather spend $200 for the piece of mind, knowing I can get it back up.