Another Righting Thread!

Technical discussion of ARC products
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: Another Righting Thread!

Post by Bill Roberts »

Kevin,
The rope ladder on the bottom of the tramp and the 1ft long slit in the tramp was B/M in the beginning, Formula Racing Sailboats. I guess it got lost somewhere along the way. I don't see how you get your arm stuck in a 1ft long tramp opening/slot. I think that is probably a wild tale somebody made up. I find the front tramp a slow down to righting the boat. Any time Eric and I turn over that is just the beginning of another race to get the boat back up quickly and get back in the sailing race. I have no experience in any other kind of catamaran. I never owned any other kind of catamaran. I am not wired to think,"well the racing is over for today just because I turned over".
I was protested once in the Round Texel Race sailing a SC17 because I righted the boat so quickly that other competitors thought I must have had help from the safety crew/boat that came by and was amazed at how quickly the boat was back and in the race. The safety crew explained to the protestors that the boat was righted with no assistance and the protest was dropped.

Note 1: If you are tall enough and have long arms, you may be able to reach the Avibank pins and extend the upper shroud on a 12 ft wide boat while standing on the mast and reaching across the top side of the trampoline. To get to this point quickly, the front ramp needs to be out of the way.
Note 2: Righting lines of the correct length and with a loop for hooking the trap into should be easily and quickly available. Do not forget, "RIGHTING THE BOAT IS A RACE"!
Note 3: Designing a mast with sufficient volume per ft of length to keep the SC20 from "going turtle" was part of the design criteria for the mast section size and shape.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

Regarding Tom geting his arm stuck. He told me that personally.

Kevin
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Kevin,
If this can happen, then a solution is a larger opening. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. A two sided opening or a three sided window with lacing should be more than large enough to reach through easily. Surely one cannot get ones arm stuck in an opening one foot by one foot.
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Post by Kevin Keller »

I just saw these on Ebay. They are 5' parachutes that look like they can be used as sea anchors. Dirt cheap.

Ebay item # 200963682952

Kevin
GeneHacker
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 20

Post by GeneHacker »

those look like a great deal. I ordered one to try.