Layup Schedule

Technical discussion of ARC products
TopSpin80
Devloping
Boat Make/Model: Supercat 19

Layup Schedule

Post by TopSpin80 »

I'm interested in the layup schedule of boats in general, but specifically my old '83 boston whaler SC19.

I understand its glass/foam/glass with keels of solid glass.
does anyone here know the weights of the glass or the type of foam, and how thick the keel is layed up?

And what differences do the newer boats, not just ARC have. If I understand correctly in about 85 resins were changed on the ARC/SC boats.

Thanks in advance,
Ernie
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Re: Layup Schedule

Post by havliii »

Me thinks that the lay-up sked would be classified intel......... that cuts right to the heart of the engineering involved in designing the boat. Given the complexity of the loading I am quite sure that the layup schedule is equally as complex. For instance, you might have 6 layers on the keel (with no foam) and 20 layers where the beam hardware is embedded. The bulkheads have to have tape or bias cloth to bond them into the structure, etc, etc............

Cutting one apart might be the only way to completely fathom how intensive the schedule is, reverse engineering as it were. I have made carbon/epoxy parts in the past and would never ever divulge the laminate schedule, it's too expensive to design, build, test for failure, and then give that intel away.