Upper wind limit for S20

Technical discussion of ARC products
GeneHacker
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 20

Upper wind limit for S20

Post by GeneHacker »

I just got a SC20 that I am getting ready for the water. I have been sailing a H18 for a few years on our very windy local lake (Lake Isabella...better known to kiteboarders and windsurfers than sailors). We have had good luck putting smaller sails up (like using H16 sails on a H18).

I am wondering about peoples experience in heavy air with the SC20.

Curious...how much is too much?

Any modifications recommended for heavy air?

I was thinking a SC17 sail might fit the bill for a permanently reefed main. Any feedback on this idea?
Kevin Keller
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC-20, ARC22

Re: Upper wind limit for S20

Post by Kevin Keller »

Can't remember if you have a TR or standard rig. From what I understand the standard rig is best in about 15 knots. The TR is for lighter winds.

I take my standard rig SC20 out in 10 to 25 knots winds and have a blast. You need to be trapping above 15. I think 10 you can hike and be ok.

Kevin
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Consider swapping the whole rig mast and sails for the blasting conditions on the lake. No need to have the big stick up in the conditions that you previously described. Keep the big rig for the lighter air that you find in other locations. I would not go with a SC19 sail (too much roach for gusty conditions) possibly find a used SC20 main that you could cut panels off of or just hoist the H18 main with a wire extender on it. (see tips from mat h. on how to do this)

Congrats on the purchase, you'll love the SC20. I cut mine down for trailer sailing (9' beam). (search previous threads on this board or my alias)
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

Yes it is a hoot to sail that beast. I will add a link here to some video of this weeks sail as soon as I get it down loaded and up on youtube. :twisted: 8) :twisted: :wink:
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

If you have a TR you can put a standard rig 20 sail up instead. I have one if you need one.

Kevin
GeneHacker
Hot Shot

Post by GeneHacker »

I didn't know the SuperCat 20 came with two different mast options. All the stats I have seen list a 33ft mast. I measured mine and it is 33ft. Would that be considered a standard or tall rig?

I should try a Hobie 18 sail on it. It looks like my H18 has sold (guy sent a deposit and supposed to pick it up this weekend), but I have a friend with a H18 with three sails and he would likely make me a great deal for the one in the worst condition. And I am sure he would let me borrow one for a test run.

As far as the idea of swapping in a shorter rig...there is a guy on our lake with a P19 that has run a full p16 rig. In heavy wind he dose really good. Are all the mast bases the same on the Supercats? If I came across a SC17 mast would it fit right on the SC20 ball?
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

The mast would fit, you'd need new rigging though. The 17 and 19 share a mast.
J Drew
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Post by J Drew »

The tall rig is 38' 6"
Matt Haberman
Administrator

Post by Matt Haberman »

Gene,

The mast base is the same on all of the SuperCat and ARC products. I would however caution putting the 17 mast on a 20. The 17 mast does not have spreaders and would be marginal in strength when considering the added righting moment that the 12'beam on the 20 produces.
Matt Haberman
Aquarius Sail Inc.
http://www.aquarius-sail.com
GeneHacker
Hot Shot

Post by GeneHacker »

38.5ft...wow that would be a tall rig.

Matt, that makes sense, I will stick with the 33ft mast and run a smaller sail if necessary. Thanks for the heads up.
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

I think the 33 foot mast will do you just fine.
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

Gene, the SC19 mast is 29 feet, has diamond wires and spreaders. If you find yourself way overpowered with the 33 foot stick look for one of these (SC19 masts) in your market. Four feet at the top of the rig makes a big difference in the overturning moment. I have both masts and can interchange either direction.

On a SC19 in 30-35 kts wind, you can make 10-12 kts surfing downwind on bare poles! (BTDT)
Kevin Keller
Professional

Post by Kevin Keller »

I wouldn't change out a mast. If needed (and probably not) just use a smaller sail. The SC20 33' mast is designed to have enough volume to keep the boat from going upside down.
GeneHacker
Hot Shot

Post by GeneHacker »

The extra beam is going to be awesome. Our lake is at 9% of full capacity because of two dry winters in a row, so it virtually guaranteed that there will be damage to dagger boards, and the dagger boards on the SC20 are prefect...so unless I get over to to ocean, she is going to have to wait till spring.

I will keep my eyes open for a standard rig sc19 mast. They seem to be rare boats here in CA...but you never know.
GeneHacker
Hot Shot

Post by GeneHacker »

Here is picture of my buddy on his Nacra last week. The trees are from before they built the dam 60 years ago. They are usually far under water, last year they started popping up and this year (the second dry winter in a row) they are everywhere.