Motor Mount

Technical discussion of ARC products
drjay
Novice
Boat Make/Model: ARC 17

Motor Mount

Post by drjay »

I anxiously await delivery of my ARC 17. Due to the nature of the ramp set up at my local lake I am considering a small motor to get past breakwater to beach from which I can raise sails.

Originally i was considering a Cheata mount. Today tom haberman sent me pics of the Aquarius mount. Much cleaner look.

Has anybody with a smaller ARC used either mount? Experiences, good or bad?

iIn terms of a motor any opinions on either the Torquedo or Elecric Paddle? I have pretty much dismissed the gasoline outboard option.

Thanks for your input
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Re: Motor Mount

Post by jjd78 »

Why not a gas motor? I have a 1.75HP Game fisher outboard that I was going to use on my 15 but never got the mount.
drjay
Novice
Boat Make/Model: ARC 17

Post by drjay »

jjd78 wrote:Why not a gas motor? I have a 1.75HP Game fisher outboard that I was going to use on my 15 but never got the mount.
From what i have learned the electrics are pretty much waterproof and weigh less. in the event of a pitchpole if gas moter gets waterlogged i'd need to remove plug etc.

I just think the electric is a better choice on a craft that may capsize. Just my understanding. BTW originally was looking at the Honda BF 2,3.
fjviola
Professional
Boat Make/Model: ARC 21 and Supercat 17

Post by fjviola »

DrJay
I had a 1.5HP Mariner on back of my Hobie 21SC that ran like a top. I too considered 'electric' motor for reasons you suggest. However, Size and WEIGHT of required battery easily 'out-weighed' any advantage over gas!
Would encourage you to investigate 2-stroke 1.5HP outboard as they are lighter than 4-strokes. If you go that route, run her on TruFuel (available at Home Depot and Lowes) as ethanol is destroying many boat motors (I currently work part-time at a Yamaha/Mercury repair shop), and spray the outboard all over with Corrosion-X after each session.
Good luck!
franklin Viola
ARC 21-01
SC15Av8or
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC15 / SC19

Post by SC15Av8or »

I recommend a good crew and a few big paddles.... :lol: :shock: :wink: No need to worry about gas ....corrosion.... batteries..... weight. Its a full proof system and only fails if the paddles go overboard !!!
Lifes 2 short for cheap GROG
SuperCat 15/19Av8or