compression ding repair

Technical discussion of ARC products
gahamby
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 15#315

compression ding repair

Post by gahamby »

What's the recommended procedure for filling compression dings in a SC15 hull?
DanBerger
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC 15 w/ spin!, SC 19

Re: compression ding repair

Post by DanBerger »

:shock:
Last edited by DanBerger on January 19th, 2015, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jjd78
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17, 1-SC15, 3-SC17 and SC19

Post by jjd78 »

Worked for me more time than not.. Haha
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

8)
Last edited by gahamby on January 19th, 2015, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Can you post a picture of your ding? It would probably be a lot easier to walk you through fixing it if we can see it. Also, it would be helpful to know if it broke the outer gel coat, if it went through the fiberglass or the hull completely. How big is it? Is there a soft area around it and if so, how big is that area? And, lastly, where is it?
Last edited by DanBerger on January 19th, 2015, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Post by havliii »

If the ding doesn't penetrate through the outer skin into the foam core and you are not planning a fresh paint job, fill the ding with a white colored bondo type product or fairing filler, sand smooth and forget it. Not much else you can do, you could add a cloth patch but this = more work to fair out. If the 'ding' is actually a 'puncture,' you have a entirely different issue. An exposed core puncture needs immediate attention to prevent water ingress.

Dan, there's three 15's up here in the North, Robert, Pam and Geoff. I located two 17's to add to our fleet as well.

Andy
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

Andy,
Thanks for the reply. There's no breach of the skin. I'm not a big fan of putty except for the most minor of cosmetic blemishes. I'll probably sand the area down some and laminate cloth in with white resin, fair it out and gel-cote it. GH
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Last edited by DanBerger on January 19th, 2015, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

:idea:
Last edited by Mac M on January 21st, 2015, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
havliii
Professional

Post by havliii »

Dan,

Jeff Sterling and I sailed up to the RRR from Belle Isle State Park, it was an epic day. Pam crewed for me on the 20 and Jeff and his daughter Emily were on the 19. We beat to weather to get to Scott's place and then ran back to Belle Isle on 20-22 kts of wind gusting to 27. On the way back Pam got bucked off the boat and did a spectacular body drag on the wire. I was running fairly deep, the boat was pretty flat, going like stink (20+), Pam is pulling a rooster tail. (same day the Hobie 20 pitch poled and sunk) (Supercats RULE) We jibed to make the last leg into the docks and Jeff had a quick pin failure on the leeward bridle wire, the head of the quick pin fell off, the innards fell out and only the barrel of the pin was holding the bridle to the tang. The pressure on the bridle wire was the only thing holding the remains of the pin in place.

I would sail in your area more often if there were some decent trailer launch ramps. We have so many access points to great water that are free or only a nominal fee, makes it hard to justify going further south and east. I am up for a Bay Crossing in the vicinity of the bridge if you want to go all the way over and back on a day trip or overnighter.

fix what needs fixin', grease the trailer bearings, order the new gloves, mend the sails, I am counting the days down now, spring is on the horizon, will be sailing again soon.
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Last edited by DanBerger on January 19th, 2015, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
havliii
Professional

Post by havliii »

.......... well we'll just have to agree to disagree.......... we are different breeds of cats......... ;-)
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

This is the technical forum. The question was about hull repair. Please take your regatta discussion to the General forum. This is a classic example of thread hijacking.
DanBerger
Professional

Post by DanBerger »

Sorry for hijacking your post. I have removed my irrelevant responses and I hope Andy, Jason and Mac will do the same.
gahamby
Professional

Post by gahamby »

IMGP0052.JPG
Thanks, back on topic, here's a pic. These dings were caused by one of the guide rollers the previous owner had. Makes a great case for cradles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.