"BEACH CAT" BOW SHAPES

Technical discussion of ARC products
Bill Roberts
Expert

"BEACH CAT" BOW SHAPES

Post by Bill Roberts »

Question # 1. Does anyone remember why the SC and ARC product lines have upward and forward sloping bows with a gentle and smooth curve connecting the keel to the stem of the bow?

Question # 2, When the I20 first came out, in the Tybe 500 beach Cat race, why did several boats crash land, pitchpole etc, an the Jensen Beach landing?
havliii
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SuperCat 19, Modded SC20

Re: "BEACH CAT" BOW SHAPES

Post by havliii »

I would guess to keep from digging in when you approach a steeply sloping beach. I don't really know but would like to understand.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Re: "BEACH CAT" BOW SHAPES

Post by Bill Roberts »

You are right, sharp cornered bows dig in to the beach rather than slide up the beach when sailing onto a beach. These reverse sloped bows are even worse. They will really dig in.
So, conclusion: These bows with sharp corners at the bow below the waterline are NOT beach cats. They are not made to sail up onto the beach with a little boat speed. Rather than slide up the beach, they will dig in and pitchpole, break masts, hurt people, etc. I can remember years ago when I was still sailing monohulls, that the Hobie crowd would sail up onto the beach at max speed and see who could coast up the beach the furtherest from the water. This was a sailing contest for them. The Hobie14/16 bow was designed to do this. The sharp cornered bows are designed for lake sailing from a boat dock; sail away from and return to a boat dock. Do not sail a sharp cornered bow beach cat up onto a beach with speed. This is dangerous.