Small dent in mast of new to me 17

Technical discussion of ARC products
tnell
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC15 sold in 93 still miss it,

Small dent in mast of new to me 17

Post by tnell » September 27th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Left side of mast, about 12 feet above the base, in the middle of the flat surface.

I have a shallow dent. It's hard to get a diameter because it's shallow and there's not a clear center of the dent. It's probably two to three inches in diameter and 1/16 deep at the most. Very smooth. The mast also has a very slight bend at the same place. I asked the previous owner and he didn't seem to know about it. He sailed it for several years.

Something to be immediately concerned about, something to keep an eye on and sail, or something to forget about and sail?

Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Small dent in mast of new to me 17

Post by Mac M » September 27th, 2017, 6:24 pm

I had a 17 with a very similar issue, I sailed it and didn't worry about it. The other 17 I had also had a slight bend, didn't seem to hurt it either. Those are stout sticks!

tnell
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC15 sold in 93 still miss it,

Post by tnell » September 27th, 2017, 7:39 pm

Thank Mac, I'm sure there a a lot of old boats with the same or worse issues, but you know how it is when something is new.
I'm gonna get a good measurement of the bend and then just check it from time to time. I bet it's fine for a long time.

Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M » September 28th, 2017, 3:12 am

Both of mine were boats I bought sight unseen and had shipped in. I wasn't happy about it but didn't seem to be a big deal in the long run.