Small dent in mast of new to me 17

Technical discussion of ARC products
tnell
Hot Shot
Boat Make/Model: SC15 sold in 93 still miss it,

Small dent in mast of new to me 17

Post by tnell »

Left side of mast, about 12 feet above the base, in the middle of the flat surface.

I have a shallow dent. It's hard to get a diameter because it's shallow and there's not a clear center of the dent. It's probably two to three inches in diameter and 1/16 deep at the most. Very smooth. The mast also has a very slight bend at the same place. I asked the previous owner and he didn't seem to know about it. He sailed it for several years.

Something to be immediately concerned about, something to keep an eye on and sail, or something to forget about and sail?
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Small dent in mast of new to me 17

Post by Mac M »

I had a 17 with a very similar issue, I sailed it and didn't worry about it. The other 17 I had also had a slight bend, didn't seem to hurt it either. Those are stout sticks!
tnell
Hot Shot

Post by tnell »

Thank Mac, I'm sure there a a lot of old boats with the same or worse issues, but you know how it is when something is new.
I'm gonna get a good measurement of the bend and then just check it from time to time. I bet it's fine for a long time.
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

Both of mine were boats I bought sight unseen and had shipped in. I wasn't happy about it but didn't seem to be a big deal in the long run.
tnell
Hot Shot

Post by tnell »

Update on the bent mast.

We just had a ef2 tornado go through our sailing club in Mississippi just south of Memphis TN. Damage ranges from almost none to total losses. There was 3 or 4 piles of boats each with 6-8 boats in them.

My SC17 was flipped on it’s side and the upper third of the mast was under a debris pile. It actually was laying on the side towards the bend in the mast. When we got it on its feet I sighted up the mast and I can’t see any bend. The dent also seems to be smaller. I did get a couple easily fixed deep scratches to shallow gouges. And my bridles and forestay were chafing/abrading on some sharp trailer edges in the pile.

So for the cost of three new wires (just to be safe) and a little marine Tex, I’ve now got a straight mast!

I do feel bad for the guys who had more serious damage and more importantly there were lives lost in this storm in other areas.