Where to purchase squaretop main sail & jib online (new)

Technical discussion of ARC products
Trinisailer
Novice
Boat Make/Model: SC 20

Where to purchase squaretop main sail & jib online (new)

Post by Trinisailer »

Hi,

I recently purchased a Supercat 20 in good condition here in the Caribbean where all i had to do was just fix each bulkhead where the chainplate were connected but other than that just minor fixes like changing out ropes, hatch covers and just a paint job now. I would like to purchase some new sails for it - squaretop main and jib.
The original sails are still in ok condition for its age, but dont want to wait till last minute to purchase new ones. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks again
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Re: Where to purchase squaretop main sail & jib online (new)

Post by Mac M »

If you can swing it I would go for sails from the factory.

That being said I had a set made for my 20 by Smyth sails and was happy with them. I had a main made for a 17 by a popular aftermarket loft and was not happy with it. You will pay more for Sails from the factory but won’t have to worry if they are right.
Trinisailer
Novice

Post by Trinisailer »

Mac M wrote: December 6th, 2017, 4:42 pm If you can swing it I would go for sails from the factory.

That being said I had a set made for my 20 by Smyth sails and was happy with them. I had a main made for a 17 by a popular aftermarket loft and was not happy with it. You will pay more for Sails from the factory but won’t have to worry if they are right.
Thanks for the reply.
Is it the standard mainsail or the flattop main you purchased and whats the average cost.
I am looking for a website to see some pics but cant find one. Do you have any pics of your sails up?
Any additional info would help......thanks
Mac M
Professional
Boat Make/Model: SC17

Post by Mac M »

I'll dig up some pictures. I bought square top sails in Technora material. Seems they were over $3000
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Go To The Factory for all equipment and parts especially sails!!!
The stories by unhappy sail buyers go on and on from inexperienced sailmakers for SC sails.
1. The bolt rope is too large and won't go up the mast or the bolt rope is too small and comes out of the mast.
2. The luff curve on the sail is too great and I can't get the sail up the mast. The luff curve is too shallow and the sail has no shape to it, almost flat.
3. The battens are too stiff and I can't pull the sail up. The sailmaker used the thicker flat pultruded stock and it is too stiff. Or the sailmaker used the flat pultruded thinner stock and the sail is very full and the max draft back is too far aft in the sail.

A sail for a sailboat is a complex thing . It is the engine for the boat. Just like any engine, the the pistons and crankshaft have to be right. The fuel injection system has to be right. The cam shaft and valves have to be right . The ignition system and spark plugs have to be right. If all of these engine parts/systems are right, the engine starts right up and runs fine. If one or some of these parts/systems are not right, the engine may not start or if it does, it win't rum well.

Square top sail: The square top sail is not just square looking sailarea added to the top of the sail for the sake of added area. When the square top sail area and sail luff curve are made right, the square top becomes like a traveller at the top of the sail. The square top area can be made to stand up and provide thrust as long as the boat can be held down, not overpowed, or when the sail does overpower the boat, the square top area can be made to twist off to leeward with increasing down haul tension and the boat goes faster. This only works when the luff curve on the sail and mast bend characteristics are designed to work together. The stretch characteristics of the sailcloth also come into play here.
Bill Roberts
Expert

Post by Bill Roberts »

Trinisailor,
I read your post and others and I have more to say.

At Aquarius Sails you have the best factory support team for all SC and ARC and RC products in the world. You can get anything you need for these products like nuts and bolts and rivets and cleats and rope and tramps and pulleys and sails with matched batten sets. Anything you need, Aquarius has it and you can get it overnight blue label. No other beach cat company can match Aquarius quality of service.
AND Tom will talk on the phone or email and help you solve any problem you have with any SC or Aquarius product.
Trinisailer
Novice

Post by Trinisailer »

Thanks Bill,

I got a quote via email from Tom at Aquarius and would use this.
Thanks for the headsup.